• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To drop or not to drop...

LYKOS

NAXJA Forum User
My LCA bushings are shot and I'm the type that likes to do things all at once. So I'm thinking I should go ahead and install LCA drop brackets while I'm under there.

I have a 3" lift that is sagging. The only future lift plans are to replace the current lift with a Old Man Emu set up with spacers and shackles. Since I am running 31's and at the most ever a 32" tire I won't go over 3.5" 4" on the high side.

So will running the drop brackets in the mean time be a problem? Or is that something that should wait until I'm finished with the new lift next year? It's a fire trail/mall crawler rig and my one and only DD. So I would like to smooth out the ride as much as possible.

the control arm drop brackets lower the mounting points 4", so I'd hold off on installing them 'til you're at at least that height. You won't be any happier with arms sloping upward than downward.

You won't be any happier with arms sloping upward than downward.

Well sure you would. When you hit a bump (travelling forward), the impact is transmitted up and to the rear. With too much lift, the arms are angled the same way, and drive the impact stright up to the unibody.

The stock-geometry horizontal arm allows the upward impact to be absorbed by the spring and shock. The rearward impact, though much much smaller, is still transmitted through the bushings to the frame.

If you drop the mounts til the arms slope upward, the axle will actually be able to swing backward (just a bit) to absorb that rearward impact, too.

Now you'd never notice it being better than stock/level, but it would definitely be better than lifted and arms angled down...

With all that said, I wouldn't bother either. :D At just 3", your angles shouldn't be bad enough to really need it, and the brackets would hang down pretty low. (Though that's another debate entirely!)

Robert

If you have stock LCA's I would consider some WJ LCA's or other aftermarket on the cheap. DB's are suggested at 5.5+" by RE, but work good for 4-4.5" As others have said, the angles are not bad at only 3". Besides, I imagine you would get stuck on lots o stuff while off-roading.

Last edited:
Gotcha!

Thanks for the input. It's nice to know there is something I DON'T have to buy.

I suppose a set of adjustable LCA's would be in order though? Or are the WJ LCAs a bit longer than stock XJ's?

Gotcha!

Thanks for the input. It's nice to know there is something I DON'T have to buy.

I suppose a set of adjustable LCA's would be in order though? Or are the WJ LCAs a bit longer than stock XJ's?

defintely get adjustable LCA before trying WJ.. I think you have to shim/grind down the WJ arms to fit them in... can't remember.
If you can afford it, adjustable lowers are worth it. No more dealing with the shims to adjust caster. If you are on a budget.
For the WJ lowers, yes you do trim down the bushings a little bit, but they work great up to 3.5" especially if you clearance the upper part of the axle side CA mount.

Back