• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To change the tranny fluid or not to change the tranny fluid...

Ya thats exactly what mine does, locks and unlocks repeatedly somtimes. I did go out and get a new TPS, but the mechanic when he had it said that the new one wasn't even getting any readings at all, so that new one was deffective. He put on my old one and he said it tested fine. But if you guys find a cure for that crap then please let me know. Time to go out and check the TV cable, later

scoobyxj said:
Yes that is what is in mind when the service intervial [sp] calls for a 100k till a filter change. But the fluid still stays in the torque converter, all but whats left in the converter is changed.

Not if the system is a pump inlet flush system. This sytem conects to the pump inlet and discharges into a drain pan. It is run until only clean new fluid is being discharged. Then the filter is replaced and the pan put back on and the new fluid added. All new and good to go. However if the existing fluid is burnt or real black or has gunk in it....don't flush it. It's pretty much dead, just hasn't figured it out yet.

The other system (cooler line flush machine) hooks to the cooler line and sorta mixes the new fluid with the old until it all looks new. I don't like the idea of this system.

But both systems do actually use the trannys own pump so the entire system is flushed. The converter is NOT missed as most seem to think.

Sarge

ok guys well its been too cold out lately to look at my TV cable or whatever, but sometime next week i'm gonna try and change the fluid and filter. But i've only changed the oil in my jeep, never the tranny fluid. Is there a drain plug similar to the oil pan? And how many quarts of what type of fluid am i going to put back in? sry if these seem like really stupid questions but i don't wanna screw this up, haha.

anybody? I talked to one guy and he said that by changing the fluid your really only getting 3 quarts out when you pull the plug...is this true?

Like I said in my prior post, if you want to take the time and money of dropping approx. 3.5 qts. out of the tranny, refill, repeat x number of times, you'll eventually, theoretically get all of the old stuff out of the tq. You just have to figure out how much the entire system holds, and then after each drop calculate the proportion of new fluid and old fluid left.

In my case with a new xj w/3k on it, to me it was well worth the $, even given the fact I use Mobil 1. In your case it might be the furthest thing you'd want to do, older xj owners might chime it and give their pov.

Again, I have to remove the crossmember, support the drivetrain via the tc, and go through the torture of removing the filler tube. Don't know about your configuration, though. I think the tranny holds about a dozen or so qts?!?

Good luck.

Mike #300

ok guys, i tried adjusting my TV cable according to directions and i took some pictures of before and after of how it looked:
before i "adjusted" it:
tvcable004.jpg

and after i adjusted it:
tvcable003.jpg

now when i posted these pics on jeepforum.com one guy that told me how to adjust it actually told me that his looked more like the first pic, which confuses me cuz if they are both adjusted right then shouldn't they look the same... How i adjusted it was i pushed that black casing as far into the "d button" thing as i could then i pushed the button down and held it, opened up the throttle body as far as it would go (which pulled that black thing out like it shows in the second pic, then let go of the button which kept it where it was and released the throttle. And i think thats how i was supposed to do it, but if i did it wrong then i would appreciate it if you guys would correct any mistakes i made, haha, thanks

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but sounds EXACTLY like mine. Took it in and it needed a rebuilt transmission! He said if I had waited longer would have cost even more. Luckly it didnt destroy to many hard parts. Take it in to AAMCO ASAP. They do a free check. Then you can decide what to do. Mines currently being fixed and is supposed to be done tomorrow. Been in the shop about 3 days.
Sorry.

well i finally got around to changing the fluid and it didn't fix thhe problem. I also managed to find out the righht way to get the TV cable adjusted and its adjusted right now, problem still there. But today i found out through experimenting that by driving with the tranny lever in the "3" position instead of "d" the problem is much less prevelant, so ive been driving around like that, i dunnno if thats bad or goood. And i also got to thinking about something...maybe you guys could tell me what you think. here goes: Well when all this stuff started happening people told me it was probably the tps, so i went out and bought a new one from autozne and the problem was still there. Then my water pump broke and the mechanic had it for about a day to fix it but half way through the day he called my house and asked "hey who installed this tps you got?" and proceeded to tell me how he wasn't getting any readings from it through his volt meter and that it was defective. So he put the old one back in and got a reading and left that one in. So tonight i got to thinking, if i had a perfectly good tps in the first place and replaced it with a defective one, wouldn't i have been able to tell that something was even more wrong? My point is that maybe my old one that is back in now really is still defective even though the mechhanic got a reading out of it...i mean if i had a defective one in the begging and repalced it with another defective one they would produce the same symptoms and i wouldn't be able to tell the difference, which is what happened. But if it was good in the first place i woulda been able to tell if the "new" one were defective, and i couldn't. Make sense? haha.

atfrith said:
ok guys, i tried adjusting my TV cable according to directions and i took some pictures of before and after of how it looked:
before i "adjusted" it:
tvcable004.jpg

and after i adjusted it:
tvcable003.jpg

now when i posted these pics on jeepforum.com one guy that told me how to adjust it actually told me that his looked more like the first pic, which confuses me cuz if they are both adjusted right then shouldn't they look the same... How i adjusted it was i pushed that black casing as far into the "d button" thing as i could then i pushed the button down and held it, opened up the throttle body as far as it would go (which pulled that black thing out like it shows in the second pic, then let go of the button which kept it where it was and released the throttle. And i think thats how i was supposed to do it, but if i did it wrong then i would appreciate it if you guys would correct any mistakes i made, haha, thanks
Mine looks more like the second pic, but not out quite that far. She took the xj into town so when she gets back I'll run out and snap a pic of it for you. Have you driven it sense you did this? If so how is it shifting now? When I played around with mine along time ago, it would shift into reverse real hard when the adjuster was out all the way, and felt like it was slipping during shifts the other way. I set mine to stock, then two or three clicks fermer.

Any shifting wierdness in my AW4 has always been related to a failing TPS - I'm on my third in 220,000 km/ 130,000 miles over 14 years.
Changing ALL the transmission fluid is bothersome, but possible. Drain the pan/pull the pan/clean the pan/ reinstall and fill with DexronIII. Then pull a cooler line (top one is from the transmssion, bottom is return), start the engine and pump out 2 litres (quarts), shut off and add 2 litres/quarts, repeat until clean comes out. Reconnect the cooler line. Check level, adjust as necessary. It's been working for me.

Here are a few pics of mine. It seams that you have an older 4.0 min is a 00 so the set up is just a little different, but I'll post them anyway for you.

DownloadedPicsFromCard207.jpg

DownloadedPicsFromCard205.jpg

DownloadedPicsFromCard206.jpg

Sorry for the last one being so large I forgot to resize it.

haha, ya no problem about the size. But ya i looked at my gf's neighboor's xj and hers is a newer one and the newer ones have TV cables that stick out farther like that. But i do have the thing adjusted and it doesn't seem to have anything really do to with my problem. I'm just kinda stuck now, i might add some lucas no-slip fluid to the tranny tomorrw and see if that helps any. It just seems like my overdrive is always trying to engage. Anybody know of anytihng else that controls the overdrive?

Back