• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ won't turn over

NJblackdeath4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I know this is a Cherokee forum but if I'm not mistaken my brother's TJ has the same 4.0 that my XJ does, and the two Jeeps operate the same way so I'm confident you guys will be able to steer me in the right direction again.

So his TJ won't start at all. I turn the key and it immediately bogs down and cranks like a dying pig then quits. If I hold the key long enough I can smell gas, so I don't believe it's a fuel delivery problem. I tried hooking up jumper cables in case the battery was about dead and it gave it a healthier crank but still would cut out after a couple seconds. So I also don't think it's lacking electricity.

I guess my next step is to check the spark plugs or wires? What do you guys think?

Sounds like a bad battery to me.

Put a volt meter on the battery when you try to start it. WHILE attempting to start it note the voltage. If it drops significantly replace the battery.

1. Clean battery cables until they are shiny.

2. Load test your battery. Any parts store will do this for you for FREE. Load testing is the only accurate way of determining battery condition.

1. Clean battery cables until they are shiny.

2. Load test your battery. Any parts store will do this for you for FREE. Load testing is the only accurate way of determining battery condition.

IF you can find a autoparts store with a load tester that's worth a damn. The ones around here are hit and miss.

Back