• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires

kenny811

NAXJA Forum User
So I got a deal in the making for a set of Mastercraft MT. anyone hear good or bad on them?
4y8aqa2u.jpg

My ex-zJ has the mastercraft ATs on it

There good road tires but not for off road. The little wheeling I did with it.

I know you are talking about the MTs but still mastercraft.

That's my only experience with them. :rof:

Kenny, they look like a standard radial MT to me. I think they would work well for your needs, and be a good street-able tire too (better than your swampers). The lugs look a little big, I'd consider siping them come winter time.

I'd also recommend looking at the Goodyear Duratrac's as well. I think those would be a good fit for you, and they're on the cheaper end of the tire spectrum.

TORX's .02

So I got a deal in the making for a set of Mastercraft MT. anyone hear good or bad on them?
4y8aqa2u.jpg

Mastercraft is just a name. They are made by Cooper tire rubber company/Avon tire. The casing will most likely be the same as the Cooper SST. Back in the mid 90's when I use to sell them, the shop I worked for nic named them the meltOmatic. They didn't seam to last long on customer rigs. But that was the 90's and tire rubber compounds have come along way since then. IMO a radial MT is a radial MT. To me they all seam to perform about the same. In the decade I worked in the tire industry I probably owned 1 of every MT tire made other then Toyo.

That being said. If I were you and were getting a good deal on them. I wouldn't hesitate one second. They will not perform any worse then any swamper radial TSL.

Thanks guys. I found master crafts in Gresham along with Hercules MT. The deal I got was $690 total out the door. For the mastercrafts it's 720 out the door. Mounted, balanced the works. The Cooper SST were 1000 out the door, then good year@ BFG MT 950 out the door. The master craft looked like a good tire ( like torx said) for my set up. And all of you are right. Much better than swampers.

Thanks guys. I found master crafts in Gresham along with Hercules MT. The deal I got was $690 total out the door. For the mastercrafts it's 720 out the door. Mounted, balanced the works. The Cooper SST were 1000 out the door, then good year@ BFG MT 950 out the door. The master craft looked like a good tire ( like torx said) for my set up. And all of you are right. Much better than swampers.

Gateway tire?

Check TireRacks pricing and then have Americas tire company price match.. thats worked for me 3 times now

I have ran the master craft mt . it was a good tire for what little bit I ran them. I had 33/12.50/15. I only had 1 flat and was from doing some thing dumb ending up with a soda can sized stick throw the side wall. it was in the snow running about 4 lbs of air. I did run them up at TSF several times. if you look back at some of the runs (mabe 3-5 years ago) you will see my gray xj running them.

For those interested in the step towards great tires. GY always has a min of 80$ MIR on Duratrac, MTR-k, and a couple others. 160$ MIR if you have good credit and buy with a GY credit card. Also, on top of this. If you sign up for treadlightly.org (min is 25$/yr) you get an additional 100$ MIR credit.

So, even if you don't apply for the GY credit, if you can front the little bit of extra cash. You get a great deal.
Here is what I did. A few years ago. I picked up a set of (4) GY MTR-k 31x10.5 for 600$ OTD (great deal as it is). Signed up for treadlightly.org . Applied for the GY MFR rebate AND TL.org rebate. Got a total of 180$ back.
In the end, I basically paid 105$ per tire.

Have you smelled the tires? If they stink, they're probably a good tire....

Lol

On a serious note, have you looked into the adventuro m/t from GT radial? They're around $130-$135 a piece, AGGRESSIVE tread pattern, very open spaces, and soft rubber(don't last the longest as others) my jeep had them in 235's when I bought it and they had maybe 15-25 percent tread left and even with that they gripped amazing and just dug in.

Just another option

Lol

On a serious note, have you looked into the adventuro m/t from GT radial? They're around $130-$135 a piece, AGGRESSIVE tread pattern, very open spaces, and soft rubber(don't last the longest as others) my jeep had them in 235's when I bought it and they had maybe 15-25 percent tread left and even with that they gripped amazing and just dug in.

Just another option

No never heard of them, but im starting fond allot of tires out there that you never of or never see on the trails. But I will check them out.

Lol

Just another option

A guy I work with had a set of them for 1 year. He bought them new from tire factory. He drove them only to and from work about 14 miles per day and maybe two trips to Seattle.

I bought a cheap set of Nexxen M/T's about the same time. I still have them 4 years plus later.

A guy I work with had a set of them for 1 year. He bought them new from tire factory. He drove them only to and from work about 14 miles per day and maybe two trips to Seattle.

I bought a cheap set of Nexxen M/T's about the same time. I still have them 4 years plus later.

Man, there is just to much info about tires out there:banghead:

Ya they're very soft, that's why I mentioned they don't last as long as other tires. I plan to get a set for strictly wheeling and just use a cheap mix and match A/T's for daily driving

Back