• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Size Question - 1.75 BB and Moab wheels

KTOKTO

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, this might be longwinded....

I am getting ready to buy tires for my xj and have a question that mainly pertains to backspacing...

My xj has a 1.75" BB and currently has 225/75/15 on stock steel.

I got a set of rubicon moab wheels for a steal and plan on putting them on the xj... I am just wondering what is largest tire I can fit on this setup. The xj is my daily driver so I am not planning on wheeling it...

The current 225/75/15 tires (about 28 1/4" tall and 8 3/4" wide) have plenty of room and look terribly small with the 1/75" lift... however...I test fitted my wrangler's canyon wheels with 31x10.5's and they rubbed on the front suspension while turning just sitting on flat ground.

I have two tire sizes in mind...

245/70/16 (about 29.5" tall and 9.6" wide)

and

255/70/16 (30" tall and 10" wide)

I am wondering if I would have problems running the 30" tall x 10" wide tire considering my 31x10.5s rubbed on the canyon wheels and am wondering if the Moab wheels backspacing is the same as the canyons and how this would affect clearance...

I know I should probably go on the safe side and take the smaller tires but the 245/70/16 really doesn't seem that much larger that the stock 225/75/15s that are on it...

Thanks...

you could try wheel spacers, they aren't as evil as some make them out to and as long as you check them periodically they would be good to go with no rubbing issues

I had 30x9.50 or 30x10.50 (forget which) on my stock XJ. if I remember correctly they rubbed a bit at full lock but not much considering my buddies BFG A/T's rubbed with essentially stock size tires (slightly more aggressive tread, I got cheap as hell tires). Only rubbed at full lock if at all so I just made sure not to cut it all the way. I know the back rubbed the inner fenders becasue of the sagging rear springs, but I dealt with it becasue I planned on lifting anyway. I would say with 1.75" lift you should be fine with the 30s, but then again I don't know how the backspacing compares between wheels..

the rubbing can be cured by limited the turning radius, via the steering stops.

follow the link

http://www.4x4xplor.com/steerstop.html

go with the 225/70/16

Thanks for the info... did you mean 255 instead of 225? I don't think 225's would be an issue...

Thanks for the info on the spacers and steering stops... This takes me back to my original question about the moab wheel's backspacing... I may not need to worry about spacers if the backspacing on the moabs is out further than the canyons.

thanks again...

yep, typo. 255.

I believe that the Canyons are 5.25" and the Moabs are 5.0" of backspacing. Or something like that.

I have a 2" BB on my MJ. And I'm running the 16x8 Moab wheels with 245/75/16 Goodyear MT/Rs (just under 31"). The tires don't rub the LCAs at all.

if it helps any, i'm running the 16x8 moabs with 245/75 mt/r's on a '96 with upcountry suspension and a teraflex 1.75 shackle/spacer combo-no wheel spacers. with the front disco'd, it rubs just BARELY front and rear at maximum stuff. it only rubs rubber on plastic, and not enough to harm either. they actually tuck nicely with this set up.

if it helps any, i'm running the 16x8 moabs with 245/75 mt/r's on a '96 with upcountry suspension and a teraflex 1.75 shackle/spacer combo-no wheel spacers. with the front disco'd, it rubs just BARELY front and rear at maximum stuff. it only rubs rubber on plastic, and not enough to harm either. they actually tuck nicely with this set up.

You wouldn't happen to have some pictures to post would you :)

Good to hear in either case... That is the same lift I am running. I am not sure how much difference is between the 96 upcountry and my 97 sport but I'm pretty confident the 255/70/16 will work for me now. If anything, I will put the stock spring spacer back in if I need an extra 1/2" for the front wheels.

Thanks

Well everything worked out OK... I had to remove the mudflaps but everything works well.. There is a small rub it I hit a big bump while turning in to a parking lot but nothing serious... I haven't had a chance to get it offroad but I'm sure I'll rub a bit when flexed... No worries as this is my street rig...

Here's the setup and some pictures...

1) 97 Sport

2) 1.75" Terraflex BB lift

3) Rubicon Moab wheels (I think they have 1/2" less backspace than stock wheels)

4) 255/70/16 (approximately 30"x10") Uniroyal Liberator A/T Tires

img00204am0.jpg

img00203mu4.jpg

You are running around 3" over a stock XJ (Non UC), you could probably go slightly bigger & still be OK

Back