• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire size for a daily driver.....?

Tire size depends on how much $$$ and time you want to put in it. If you said you want long arms and really good suspension I would say 35s on a DD works fine. I've been battling this exact conbo and I am about to dive in.

Whats this crap about 33s and upgrading axles and the engine? :rolleyes: I have you know on my 2000 you can put an AA SYE and TW. ds, a nice Lift, gears, tires and thats it. I don't know what year model XJ you have, but you don't need ANY upgrades to run 32s, muchless 33s on my stock drivetrain (unless its a d35, get a Jeep w/ 8.25), just gears. I'm going to run 35s on stock axles and not put any money into terds, because I do have whole axles that I can upgrade to if something goes bad. (Front Rubi, 79 Ford d60, and XJ d44)

Al ot has to do with how agressive a tire you want to run. I run 32 mtr's and have taken plenty of long trips, no regrets

You know...we all spend lots of money to make our rigs capable of doing that ' very very small percentage' of the trail that can't be crossed with a stock rig.
The point being that even a stock rig can do some amazing things, but the more you modify the more amazing things you can do!!!
Another point.....after spending a great day wheeling with some other XJ folks I was told that the only tire to buy was the Goodyear tread....this after I just had spent the day going every place my open diff ride would take me...running BFG ATs.
Good rubber is to be had from MANY companies and opinions are opinions! :D

I appreciate everyone's time and input. Thanks for aiding me in making an important decision. Right now I think the RE 5.5" LA lift looks and sounds like a good choice and 32" tires are enough for me. I'll be sure to add the SYE, rear locker, and change the geraing along with a few other modifications I have in mind. This will be a daily driver, but it will see plenty of trail time in SoCal, New Mexico, and maybe a little in between. Thanks again for everyone's experience, advice, and the time you took to post a response. Good Luck.

Ryan

Back