• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Question

phinx4x4 said:
newjeep009.jpg
Out of cerousity who makes those tires and/or who sells them?

so I have bumpstops that are supposably 2" taller then stock bumpstops. (i wouldn't know by measurement, since when I removed the old ones, there was hardly anything left.) so, if I bumpstop it that much, doesn't that give me the clearance I need for 31's/32's? and width, what will a 4.5" lift that I'm looking at from RE give me to acheive 32's that are stated to fit, no rub, that can't be acheived by bumpstops??

question two, a 4.5" lift and some trimming (where, exactly) will allow me to fit 33's?

phinx4x4 said:
Well here is a pic of my jeep! i got a sweet deal from my friend on a set of wheels and tires, i was going to put them on the old xj but it got totaled. so i put them on my new on. Its stock ride and a have minor rubbing with 32's. Took out the grinder and did some nice clean trimming and the fit perfect, i am instaling a 2"BB tomorrow and ill post another pic. but here you go!!

-Matt- :NAXJA:

newjeep009.jpg
Thats looks very nice. I guess there is hope with a small budget.

KarlVP said:
I suggest a Sawzall, a 6 Pack of Red Hook ESB, and some 33's.
That wont work, you'll spend too much time spitting out that piss beer.

I put 30's on my 92,and they rubbed like crazy if there was any other passengers in the jeep besides myself. I didn't measure the tires,but I do believe they were taller than the advertised 30". However,after the 3" lift kit I put on,they rub no more:)

moparmatt said:
Out of cerousity who makes those tires and/or who sells them?

Those are Les Schwab's basic mud terrain. Schwab tires are not so good off-road, had a set years ago and the rubber compound is very hard, don't expect much grip on rocks. They are high mileage tires though, so if you don't mind extra road noise and sub-par performance off-road, go for it.

BTW, Les Schwab is a west coast chain, I don't know how available their stuff is east of the Rockies.

fubar XJ said:
Those are Les Schwab's basic mud terrain. Schwab tires are not so good off-road, had a set years ago and the rubber compound is very hard, don't expect much grip on rocks. They are high mileage tires though, so if you don't mind extra road noise and sub-par performance off-road, go for it.

BTW, Les Schwab is a west coast chain, I don't know how available their stuff is east of the Rockies.

Thanks, nothing like that around here in the midwest.

I like the tread pattern and what the side wall says "wild country".

Yes its a les Schwab tire and he is right. If you plan useing them on rock i dont recomend them at all!! I personaly an not to fond of them but my Friend bought them for his truck and they did not fit so he sold them to me for $150. I have used them in mud and snow and so far not to bad. Much better in the mud but i was wheeling and ran in to snow and they were like ice skates! But then again i was on a VERY steep incline so that explanes it.

If i had the money i would buy another set of ProComp Xterrains!!! I ran those for almost two years on my other XJ and they were GREAT!!!!!!!!! Not to loud on the freeway too. in fact the ones i have now are louder than my old procomps!
-Matt-

phinx4x4 said:
Well here is the pic after a 2"BB
Trimmed the fenders so its still got the stock look but plenty on clearence!!

newjeep011.jpg

what brand BB was that...im looking a rocky-road 2 or 3" BB...i like the license plate too...nice looking XJ

It a little of every thing.

Front- Rusty's offroad 2" Coil spacer. It rides great because its still useing the stock front springs. And not big enough to have to do anything with brake lines.

Rear- Added a leaf to the original leaf pack from my old set of springs for my old XJ. And from there i added a custom fab rear shackle. Measurements are 2" exactly in the front and just over 2 1/4" in the rear.

Like i said it rides great and has nice flex seeing how it has the soft stock springs. Only thing i did not upgrade was the shocks. They are about a inch to short for full drop but i am not getting new ones because i am getting the rubicon 3.5 lift in a few months.

-Matt-

Back