• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Question

wac1977

NAXJA Forum User
I have a tire question. A friend of my brother in law just bought an ex-military Humvee. We flew from Tampa to Atlanta to pick it up for him. It is a really nice truck all around. It had less than 9k miles on it when we got it and it is a '92 model. That was the longest 12 hour drive of my life. The factory seats in that thing suck and going 55 miles an hour really sucks to. We left about 3:30 in the afternoon and didn't get home until 4 a.m. They gave us a spare tire and it was one of the original style run flats like the rest of the truck has. Well, it had a bad tire and of course we didn't have any tools so we stopped in WalMart. We were told that one of the tires might be bad so we had them change the one that we were told was bad. Well, that one was a little bit messed up but we missed the one that was really bad and then WalMart was closed and we were down the road so we drove it the rest of the way like that. It sucked big time. Now to my question. Does anyone know where to get the Goodyear tires that come on those. I have found the bias ply ones but not the radial ones that came on it. If anyone has any ideas that would be a great help. The guy that has it wants to keep it as original as posssible so he doesn't want to change the rims and tires to something different. If you know of some, either new or good used ones let me know. Thanks for any help you can give me.

I did not realize that they were allowed to sell mil spec hummers on the civ market, guess it changed at some point, in 99 that was a big no no... you mean wamart didn't have a fit when they got the tire on the machine :D thats hilarious, I could just picture the tire guy saying 'WTF is this'.... I've done those tires by hand with tire irons in the field, NOT FUN..

Yeah, the guy that we picked the Humvee up from bought 135 of them 5 years ago. He had 33 left when we got the one we bought. There was some auction that he bought them from. He said that was the last time that they did that and as far as he knows they are not planning to do it again. Yeah, they had a time trying to figure out what was going on at WalMart. We had a spare tire and rim and they didn't hardly know what to charge us to change it. They couldn't find Humvee listed anywhere in there computet. They ended up charging us $5 to change it. I would hate to see what they would do if we actually tried to get them to change a tire on the factory rims with the run flats that are on it. They wouldn't even try to put it on the lift. They were scared of it. They backed in the bay and used a floor jack. I don't know how the tires got worn out with only 9k miles on it unless the guy that bought it changed the tires out from one of the other ones he had. He was putting black wagon wheels and 37x13.5x17in tires on the ones that need tires because he is having a hard time finding tires for them all. I was hoping that the guy that was buying the thing would get one of the other ones the guy had for sale because it had a new set of ProComps and some nice aftermarket seets. They are all done up pretty nice with new paint and lots of Line-X inside and out. The guy paid $47,000 dollars for the one that we bought. Anyways, thanks for the help so far and anymore you can come up with will be great. Thanks.

x2 on the gov liquidators I was keeping an eye for a duece and a half.

I think they have some tires listed as a set of 4 up for auction right now. If you click on the details it shows the sizes. Is this the size it needs [FONT=Verdana,Arial][SIZE=-2][SIZE=-2]395/80R20 P-METRIC[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial][SIZE=-2][SIZE=-2]?

Did that guy it was bought from have any of the 6x6's or any other vehicles of interest?
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Part ofthe problem may have been that its not a "Humvee" per se as that is the nickname made up for them. The manufacturer is AM General, just like the H1s. Its designation is HMMWV...I think is supposed to stand for High Mobility Motorized Wheeled Vehicle. Not that that would likely help them find it in the system...I doubt Wal-Mart sees many ex-military trucks there ;)

Back