• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire chain advise

natesjeep

NAXJA Forum User
HI I'm looking to buy a set of tire chains and was wondering what you use I have 31 10.5 15. They won't see to much offroad use but I just want to be safe. What is the better patter diamond or the ones that go straight across the tire?Thanks nate

The problem with many XJs and chains is the lack of clearance, when running oversize tires. Low profile cables may fit better.

My jeep is running 31x10.50s and I've got a set of the traditional style chains that run across the tread. You want to make sure you've got the them as tight as possible and use at least three heavy duty bungee cords per wheel to keep everything in place (I prefer the thick black rubber type bungees), but they work like gangbusters when you really need them. My jeep also has about 4" of lift and in some situations I will still get some body contact. Depending on how much lift you have, you're mileage may vary, but if you have the clearance for them, I would recommend chains.

For off road use I'm leaning in the direction of those of which the links are made of square profile wire. From my research they offer superior traction, but, I may run into clearance issues when the front suspension is compressed and the wheels turned. That is of course if I can afford all four corners. Getting / keeping them tight is going to be the major factor I think.

Back