• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tips to keep the XJ somewhat rust free?

Packman

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I just got stationed out in CT, and I brought my XJ along from CA. It's in such nice condition, and I would hate to watch it become a rust bucket. I just spent my first winter here and did my best to take it to the wash every week or so.

So besides getting it washed regularly, what else would you guys recommend to keep it in decent condition while living out here? Is there much else I can even do?

Thanks!

Don't fix the rear main seal leak.:jester:

Fluid film will save it to a point , but staying away from the salt and or brine is best . Buy a cheap throw away vehicle and drive that in the winter (if you can ).

Agreed, Fluid Film is one of the best things we have to fight the road salt. Find a shop that has a good rep or buy a kit and spray it yourself. Try to get it inside the unibody rails as much as possible, salt sitting in there is surely gonna shorten the life of your XJ

I love that the 4 wheel drive offroad vehicle is the one we're talking about not using in the winter. Accurate though you don't want rust don't drive it when it dips below 40

Fluid film will save it to a point , but staying away from the salt and or brine is best . Buy a cheap throw away vehicle and drive that in the winter (if you can ).

That's a pretty good idea ... if your XJ is that nice and you want to keep it for a long long time .... put it in a storage locker for half the year and get yourself a $1,000 XJ to drive all winter.

Back