• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tips for first job interview?

AnthonyZ28

NAXJA Forum User
Tomorrow I have a job interview at our local grocery store at 4. Now that i have my jeep, I'll need a source of $$$. This will be my first "real" job. I'm sure all of you on here have been at my stage at some point of life. So any positive help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Their first impression is going to be you walking through the door.

Make sure your clothes are clean and don't look like you just picked them up off the floor.

Clean shaven and combed hair.

Shirt tucked in, belt and pants that aren't half way down your asskcrack.

Say "good afternoon", firm hand shake, don't mumble, make eye contact.

When you are done say "Thank you" and wish them a pleasant weekend.

Dont expect to get the first job you ever interview for, sure, it would be great. But think of it as a learning experience, preparation for the next one. It will hurt less if you dont get it, and feel even better if you do.

Good Luck!

Now that I have had my fair share of interviews I enjoy them and think they are fun.

I think all the advice given so far is great. Also remember that the process goes both ways. Ask questions about the company and job duties, it shows your interest and that you have done a little research. I understand its your first job and the duties maybe simple but holding a conversation goes a long way.

Make a list of your priorities in the job and base your questions on that. You may just find out that the job is not what you expected.

Good luck! And it may sound dumb but I continually tell myself that I am the best at what I do and no one else can possibly be a better fit for the job. I tell myself this over and over no matter how simple the job.

Confidence and a positive attitude will open many doors.

Last edited:
Just show up and go through the interview. You don't need 'tips' because you're doing nobody a service by faking who you are. If you're not a genuinely happy, clean, or punctual person you'll only look like an idiot later when they find out the truth. ;)

Their first impression is going to be you walking through the door.

Make sure your clothes are clean and don't look like you just picked them up off the floor.

Clean shaven and combed hair.

Shirt tucked in, belt and pants that aren't half way down your asskcrack.

Say "good afternoon", firm hand shake, don't mumble, make eye contact.

When you are done say "Thank you" and wish them a pleasant weekend.

This, wear your "church cloths" at least a polo and clean proper fitting jeans, but a button down and slacks would be better. Maintain good eye contact, talk a lot, ask questions, don't talk about your social life (parties, drinking, ect) no matter how cool the interviewer seems.e

Just the fact that you cared enough to ask about it says to me that you'll probably have a good interview. Also, talk to someone in your family that has extensive job experience in management. Most likely they have been on both sides of the interview process and can give you some pointers.

I think all the advice given so far is great. Also remember that the process goes both ways. Ask questions about the company and job duties, it shows your interest and that you have done a little research.

This, for sure. I just had an interview with the State and the last half of the interview was for me to ask questions. Don't ask questions about pay or benefits.

This is what I asked:

1. Why is this position open?
2. What are the biggest challenges or obstacles the person in this position will face?
3. Can you describe a typical day or week in the position?
4. What would a successful first year in the position look like?
5. How will the success of the person in this position be measured?
6. Thinking back to the person whom you've seen do this job best, what made their performance so outstanding?
7. How would you describe the culture here?
8. How would you describe your management style?
9. Are there reservations you have about my fit for the position?
10. When do you expect to make a hiring decision?

prep yourself for the normal "tell me a time when..." questions.

If you have to say uh,,,, and strum you fingers to think of an answer it can make your answers less effective.
Know your best trait, your downfall, when you had to make a tough decision, how you handle tough people.

Also being in a sales environment, people are guests, not customers.

Here is a link my ex used to recommend to people. She was HR for a larger corp. and this is where people usually choke up.
http://career-advice.monster.com/jo...stions/tell-me-about-a-time-when/article.aspx

But some CLASS goes a long way. The hand shake the eye contact the firm tone in your voice.
Being as you are probably younger, they dont expect a CEO type interview, just be personable and honest, itll take you far,

Don't argue with them.

And best of all, if you ever want a chance at working there; when they call you and tell you they have decided on someone else, don't tell them they are stupid for hiring that idiot who doesn't know his ass form a hole in the ground.

Makes it hard to go in and apply for another opening with the same company.

Any one who has ever done that, raise their hand.....

:wave1:

This, for sure. I just had an interview with the State and the last half of the interview was for me to ask questions. Don't ask questions about pay or benefits.

This is what I asked:

1. Why is this position open?
2. What are the biggest challenges or obstacles the person in this position will face?
3. Can you describe a typical day or week in the position?
4. What would a successful first year in the position look like?
5. How will the success of the person in this position be measured?
6. Thinking back to the person whom you've seen do this job best, what made their performance so outstanding?
7. How would you describe the culture here?
8. How would you describe your management style?
9. Are there reservations you have about my fit for the position?
10. When do you expect to make a hiring decision?

I wish I would have had this list of questions last year. It would have been awesome to watch the HR folks fish for answers for once.

I've interviewed twice with the same company in the last year for different positions. The first one I interviewed for I did not get but the HR guy was nice enough to sit down with me and tell me what I could have done differently to score higher on their 'Interviewing Score Sheet'. The second time I interviewed I knew what they were looking for. (Different department, different interviewers.)

The HR guy told me my biggest downfall was lack of detail in my answers. When they ask you "Can you remember a time when..." they're looking for a super duper detailed answer. They don't want a 5 word response. They want you to talk. They want to get a feel for who you are and if you're a good fit for the job.

My second interview was 3 times as long as my first interview. They asked a question, they got an HD answer. Now that I'm hired into that position I'm told by the boss that I had the best interview by far out of 8 folks.

Don't argue with them.

And best of all, if you ever want a chance at working there; when they call you and tell you they have decided on someone else, don't tell them they are stupid for hiring that idiot who doesn't know his ass form a hole in the ground.

Makes it hard to go in and apply for another opening with the same company.

Any one who has ever done that, raise their hand.....

:wave1:

I don't think they do that at Grocery Stores... :dunno:

Last edited:
Back