• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

time to PO the ricers

2wd or 4wd

• 2wd

Votes: 43 13.2%
  • 4wd

Votes: 282 86.8%

• Total voters
I've got a couple of friends from work with full size p/u's. One's got a '96 Ram longbed w/a drop in K&N 360/auto/4WD/ single 3" in x twin 2.5" out Dynomax Ultraflow w/ pipes exiting out the back (not too sure on gears). The other has '04 Silverado 4.8l V-8/ 5-speed/ 3.73 rear end/ funtional Ramair hood/ Airaid intake/ Magnaflow (I think) dual exit exhaust/ and now a new MAF sensor (the high flow type) and a whole bunch of ricer lights and such :anon: . We got into it one night after work and, low and behold, I'd pull from the 360 Ram and could chase down the tweaked Silverado, on a stock, nearly loaded, poorly broken it (think a soccer mom had it before me), 4.0l XJ Limited (just turned 67K too).

bjoehandley said:
I'd pull from the 360 Ram and could chase down the tweaked Silverado, on a stock, nearly loaded, poorly broken it (think a soccer mom had it before me), 4.0l XJ Limited (just turned 67K too).
I'm at around 107,000 in my 4.0 Sport. I've got big plans for it. 4.6stroker, 4.11-4.56 gears, 32" tires, 4.5" lift, hopefully it'l still be quick after the lift and tires once I get the gears and stroker done. I might up it to a 4.8 if I have the money and can get good words on reliability. For now, those are all dreams tho. I'm poor :(

Hey BlackSport, If this tells you anything, I talked to a guy a while back who had a '97 Sport with 33's and some minor engine mods and, if I remember right, a 5 sp. He told me when he still had the 31's on it he got into with a 5.2l Dakota and just gave it hell for a good distance. After they pulled up to a light once they "finished" the guy in the Dak. told him he was on it hard trying to pull on this XJ and all he could do is run nose to nose with it:spin1:.

bjoehandley said:
Hey BlackSport, If this tells you anything, I talked to a guy a while back who had a '97 Sport with 33's and some minor engine mods and, if I remember right, a 5 sp. He told me when he still had the 31's on it he got into with a 5.2l Dakota and just gave it hell for a good distance. After they pulled up to a light once they "finished" the guy in the Dak. told him he was on it hard trying to pull on this XJ and all he could do is run nose to nose with it:spin1:.

outstanding cuz I don't plan on going any more than 33's on mine, I just don't want to lose the ability to heckle the hondas out there. I was runnin against a little Civic who was just killin his little thing to just barely pull away, and he had a head start so that probably had more to do with it than anything else...

bjoehandley said:
It sounds like the New Hemi is a bit narrower and shorter than the small block Chevy as well a noticably lighter. I'm wondering if it might be possible to rob a LA motored Grand (probably a ZJ) of its post manifold to Cat. exhaust plumbing and use manifolds off a new Hemi Grand. It might be easier than the idea I had when I had my 94 ZJ Laredo. I was wondering how easy it might be to put a Viper V-10 in place of the 4.0l!
I've seen the Viper V10 in a TJ( http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/features/1999/03/ ), and American Expedition Vehicles (AEV) is Modifying the TJ with the Hemi and selling it... (http://www.aev-conversions.com/Vehicle_Hemi.html )

I saw a video of a wrangler w/a V8 in it on Tremek.com (a site generally dedicated to import racers, street racers and all that rice crap) where it lifted its front end very easily, and a number of times. It was a cool video. They also got one of a S10 it looks like, heavily modified not much S10 left, climbing up a vertical wall. They were all amazed and trying to figure out how. No winch, but they can't tell the difference between a nylon tow strap and a winch cable...

I thought the Hemi swap was really cool and was all set to start savin up my money for in case it ever is done on a Cherokee......and then I saw the price...16 grand! good lawd thatsalottamoney!!

A turbo Subaru is definately a decent car to bomb around in.
Cheap too older legacy/impreza with stock WRX turbo parts.

My Daily Driver:

DSC00177_001.jpg

ChicksDigWagons said:
A turbo Subaru is definately a decent car to bomb around in. Cheap too older legacy/impreza with stock WRX turbo parts.
[/IMG]

That's true, except that you won't be going very far offroad in Scooby. The fun in modding a Jeep is having the ability to go wheeling and still be able to show a clean tailpipe to the ricer mob. It's also satisfying to see the look of shock on the faces of a few Mustang owners too.

Dr. Dyno said:
That's true, except that you won't be going very far offroad in Scooby. The fun in modding a Jeep is having the ability to go wheeling and still be able to show a clean tailpipe to the ricer mob. It's also satisfying to see the look of shock on the faces of a few Mustang owners too.

People have been suprised with how far I've gone in my Subaru. Naturally not the same as my Jeep, but right now my jeep isn't going anywhere it can't be pushed :-D I know I have some videos around here somewhere...

EDIT: Ahhh yes
http://www.subaruwagon.com/videos/subyownz.wmv
Though we all have our sobering moments...
http://www.subaruwagon.com/videos/subiemudding.wmv

Last edited:
ChicksDigWagons said:
People have been suprised with how far I've gone in my Subaru. Naturally not the same as my Jeep, but right now my jeep isn't going anywhere it can't be pushed :-D I know I have some videos around here somewhere...

EDIT: Ahhh yes
http://www.subaruwagon.com/videos/subyownz.wmv
Though we all have our sobering moments...
http://www.subaruwagon.com/videos/subiemudding.wmv

What I find interesting is how some Subarus have been lifted. Besides larger tires and taller springs/struts, spacers have been used on the subframes and strut tops. Some Outback models are already classified as SUV's, and have more ground clearance than most stock vehicles. This is due to IRS and IFS. Subaru's symmetric AWD system means longer halfshafts are used. That means that they have more travel and strength than AWD cars based on FWD powertrains. Clearly, they don't have the equipment for hardcore offroading, but they do a superb job on anything resembling an actual road. Now, if a lightweight buggy was built using a Subaru powertrain, then it might be able to handle some pretty rugged terrain. Of course it would have to be built using the best Subaru parts, some of which aren't sold in the U.S. Other countires get a tranny with a LOW range.

I would personally go with the 2wd for now, less stuff to break and gives some time find everything to do the 4x4 the way you want.
and,
REDXJ4FUN said:
I'll proble end up with a aw4 witch is fine since i can make an auto stick out of it.
Can/would you be willing to share your secret?

REDXJ4FUN said:
Well its started. I picked up a 2.5l short bed 2wd mj. I know the 2.5 is kinda down on hp but i have plans for a major rebuild and forced induction proble in the turbo form. I need to swap in a 5 speed in place of the 4 speed or maybe look in to other trannys. i'm reserching everything right now and its kind a funny the ieads i'm thinking of that are based on what we do for our lifted xjs such as fender triming and control arms. and offset ball joints for some camber.

OK...so you wanted to go fast and still insisted on an XJ/MJ...and then you went with a 2.5? You were just fawkin with us right? You never wanted to go fast.

There are two types of cars out there...fast cars you make faster and slow cars you make less slow...I'm not sure if you can get less slower LOL...and even if it wasn't slow, getting a 2wd pickup to get traction is voo-doo best left for Ford SVT...

well I havdn't planed on a 2.5 but when you find a short bed mj with a almost perfect body for 750 bucks its hard to pass up on. I can't say the 2.5 wil stay or go but for right now the gas milage and the fact its now my DD the 2.5 will have to stay.hell even with 175k on it its pretty damn strong and once i hit back roads its alot of fun with is my main goal. I have some minor mods when time permits and just experimenting with the 2.5. I have a 4.0 that is begging to be built and droped in but right now thats not going to happen. my main interest right now is getting th e suspention the way i like. if ya can't out power them out turn them. I'm looking at 16 and 17in wheels right now looking for the right look. i have a set of ZJ rear disks to go on. I just put new KYBs on it witch was a major improvement. I'm looking at springs right now to find the ones i want to use and working on new control arms to keep things right up front.
I know some people are disapointed that the killer mj will be put off but building my house and shop right now are more important. plus i have another mj That I'm starting on that will have a amc 8 and sit on at least 38s witch is higher on the list right now.

Anything can be made to go fast....you just gotta squeeze a lotta smurfs into that blue bottle....it may not last long, but the ending is spectacular (insert picture of mushroom cloud)...ok i'm shutting up now...

TOZOVR said:
There are two types of cars out there...fast cars you make faster and slow cars you make less slow...I'm not sure if you can get less slower LOL...and even if it wasn't slow, getting a 2wd pickup to get traction is voo-doo best left for Ford SVT...

Better yet The Dodge Ram SRT 10, It is much faster and IMO better lookin' :)

MUCH better looking! My Gawd are they beautiful machines!

Back