• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TIME Person of the Year

ACE

NAXJA Forum User
And deservedly so. Hell, they should be people of the Century.
:thumbup:

story.time.soldier.ap.jpg

ACE said:
And deservedly so. Hell, they should be people of the Century.
:thumbup:

story.time.soldier.ap.jpg

Right on. Thanks for posting it.
Glenn

Congrats to my brothers in arms.

Not trying to start any interservice rivalry here, but I'm damn glad they used the term Soldier....denoting an Army soldier.....

The Army has for ages been downplayed by the Marines' chest beating, and the Air Force's technical whizbang gadgets, while the Grunts, Tankers, and their support troops slog away and do their thankless jobs.

Time may actually mean all of our services, but I'm taking it as a kudos for the Army and no amount of arguing will make me think different.

SSG(P) Abronski

Uh Oh. LOL. Now the Coast Guard people, the AF, Marines and NAVY people will surely take exception to your post. :wow:
But your point may be valid, though maybye not the intent they had? Dunno, have not read the article. I suppose they could have said "the American Service Persons" (as serviceman would be seen as sexist by the PC crowd).

Gotta get some popcorn, this one may be an interesting one........
Glenn

John-Boy said:
Congrats to my brothers in arms.

Not trying to start any interservice rivalry here, but I'm damn glad they used the term Soldier....denoting an Army soldier.....

The Army has for ages been downplayed by the Marines' chest beating, and the Air Force's technical whizbang gadgets, while the Grunts, Tankers, and their support troops slog away and do their thankless jobs.

Time may actually mean all of our services, but I'm taking it as a kudos for the Army and no amount of arguing will make me think different.

SSG(P) Abronski

Interesting precedent. Can't wait to see where this one leads...

Oh - I don't take exception to the word "soldier" - it's older than "sailor" or "airman" anyhow, and anyone who has seen line duty is, in some sense, a soldier. Even if my suit was blue...

5-90

To argue who's best or who deserves the person of the year honor will only downplay the purpose of this post. I see it as a typo and give my own award to all services, Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard too.

I may be ex-AF but as far as I'm concerned they're all American Heros.

I don't mind that soldiers are on the cover. Time may have put them on their cover because it's likely most Americans readily identify with the army soldier when thinking about our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. The war is a joint effort, though. So I see it as a salute to all the servicemen and servicewomen from all branches. A big salute to our part-timers, too, as they are performing a big share of the workload. :patriot:

BTW, I got a chuckle out of the Air Force's "whizbang gadgets" comment. :) AF Special Ops was involved in many of the initial operations on both fronts over in the Middle East. Many of the early pics and news clips of our military clearing houses and/or advancing into small towns in Afghanistan were AF personnel. And they are currently conducting other very dangerous operations which I cannot mention here.

I just knew that I would be taken the wrong way.

In the first line of my post I congratulated my brothers (and sisters) in arms. All services included.

Considering that I'm Active Duty Army, and have been for the last 15 years, I think that I'm allowed to be a little prejudiced towards my branch.

I'm being hard headed because I can.

this best thing about the "American soldier" is that by doing their job we get to do what we want freely and safely. thats cool.

John-Boy said:
I just knew that I would be taken the wrong way.

In the first line of my post I congratulated my brothers (and sisters) in arms. All services included.

Considering that I'm Active Duty Army, and have been for the last 15 years, I think that I'm allowed to be a little prejudiced towards my branch.

I'm being hard headed because I can.
I don't know that anyone has taken it the wrong way....seems everyone's cool with it so far.

From someone who's not in the military, I take it to mean all military persons serving/have served the country in whatever branch. I thank you all.

Tom R. said:
BTW, I got a chuckle out of the Air Force's "whizbang gadgets" comment. :) AF Special Ops was involved in many of the initial operations on both fronts over in the Middle East. Many of the early pics and news clips of our military clearing houses and/or advancing into small towns in Afghanistan were AF personnel. And they are currently conducting other very dangerous operations which I cannot mention here.

I'd ask how you know, but your channels are probably similar to mine...

For the rest of you - mostly civilians - yeah, we generally take "soldier" to mean anyone in uniform. Hell, I'm x-AF, but I got so many kids seeing me in utilities asking me if I was Army it kinda becomes old hat to think that way... Remember, gently correct your children - we try to. Adults we expect to know better - or at least to read nametapes above pockets... You know, the ones that say "US Army," "US Marine Corps," "US Navy," and "US Air Force." Kids just don't know any better until they've been taught.

Also, remember that the terms "grunt," "jarhead," "squid," "airedale," "wing-wiper," and such are terms of endearment from uniformed personnel to other uniformed personnel - it's part of how we express our fraternity. Nothing will get you a more withering look than using the words without being "in the club" so to speak... It's a matter of shared adversity and discipline - especially among those of us who can be called "mudfoot." ;)

5-90

Back