• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time for new shocks

Tapping bolt holes

I'll see if I can locate the tap tonight..however, due to the position and angle of the holes, using the normal tap handle was useless..I put it in the chuck of my bosch 18v cordless and it made it real easy..several easy in and out partial passes (didn't want to twist off the tap in the hole) and it was ready. Even trying to drill out just the bolt shaft is virtually impossible so you will wind up tapping a combination of threads and nutsert. The length of the drill allowed for accurate alignment as well as being able to put some pressure on the tap to help drive it. Still was glad I only had to do just 2 and not 4

The tap size on my 93 was 8x1.25. I bought a set at the local Advance Auto for $7. Good luck drilling from the bottom I could not get a good angle on the bolt and had to cut the floor board a little to get at it from the top.

I just banged the nuts out and replaced everything with grade 8 bolts... although I have JKS BPE so I went up a bolt size which had it more difficult than it should be. Ohh and I had to be creative in putting the nuts in with a wrench/magnet combo to first start them. Yes alot more trouble but very secure...

Well I finished the rear shocks today! I cut the floor pan in the cargo area to get access to the upper broken bolts. I then drilled the old bolts out and opened the whole up to 3/8. I then replaced with grade 8 bolts, nuts and lock washers when I put the new shocks in. I did this so I wouldn't have to tap the old nuts after drilling out the bolts. I still have to close the floor pan but I will leave that for another day. Now just have the front shocks to do... hopefully they will be easier!

Back