• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thunderbird Coils

FYI, just did this swap on the gf's '00 XJ yesterday. Used coils and the upper support from a 94 T-bird, and ended up with right at 4" of lift on the front. Gonna level out the rear using Durango leaves this weekend. Pics (before & after) to follow, for reference.

ok, so the original person who did this got 3.5-4" with his adaptor plate and t-bird springs and other people have used the stock strut top and got 4-5"?

my question is:
if you used j-bolts to hold the springs in, is there a reason to have the centering plate? i know you need the adaptor plate because the springs are larger in diameter. i am only wanting 2.5-3" of lift, so i was thinking about taking the stock isolater out and replacing it with a thin piece of rubber, then a 3/8 thick adapter plate, and another thin piece of rubber, then the springs. the j-bolts would sandwich it all together.

my own personal notes:

a long time ago in a galaxy far away I had this Jeep you see running up the hill in my little avatar picture.

it had 260 in/lb rancho coils + spacers for 4" lift & some for ford truck shocks I can't recall off the top of my head.

the rear was MJ shackle, XJ main leaf + everything but the main from a late 80s/early 90s 4wd dodge dakota.

solid 4" around, rode decent, flexy as hell for what it was, and it was THE MOST BALANCED XJ suspension I've ever seen in action personally. it worked so damn good, that when I went to 36s, I didn't change anything, I just cut and beat and welded on the XJ until the tires stopped rubbin.

I'm building a "CheapXJ V2.0" so to speak, and the only thing the previous one didn't have from the junkyard was the front coils.

just want to make sure I am understanding this... the cougar spring adapter plate is basically a massive washer... right?

Well, the spring doesn't have a totally flat top. The spring adapter plate that the OP had fabbed up will nest inside the top of the coil & slide over the bump stop tower.

The top of a mcphereson strut will kind of cup the top of the spring & provide a solid, even surface it can compress against.

But, y'know, they are both pretty round and flat. Washer-ish.

In any case, you need one or the other to mount the top side of the spring.

Just to tag onto this I've been looking at this for a while thinking I could probably do it a little different & finally got around to it last night, the paint is drying on my spring top adapters right now. I used a couple round plates from the local steel house & a chunck of 3" tube(old drive shaft I picked up on the side of the road a few years ago for the yoke), with the Energy Suspensions coil isolaters & steel plates I think I'm in it like $30 & the coils cost me $10 & change with tax.

Well, I was going to attach pics, but I don't see a way to do so, maybe I'll ig into it more later

bringing this guy back from the dead because these coils ****ing rock. hands down. DO IT!!!

Hey this was a great thread, Thanks.
Just to be clear; are the V6 TBird coils what worked out best for you? I am considering TBird V6 coils plus the S10 leafs. To be honest I don't get off road much, its more of a light duty truck for side jobs and occasional donuts in the woods lol.
I'm debating this vs just spending the money on a 2" kit from superlift or bds or someone...

any thoughts?

thanks,
B

Back