• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throwing codes in my mall rated 98 limited XJ

JillyMarie

NAXJA Forum User
Went to Pacific City this weekend. On the way there my XJ was running fine. The second set of hills my check engine light came on. Had Tillamook Oriellys do a scan and I'm throwing two codes P0700 & P0743. Atfirst my tranny fluid looked like it was overfilled. Once the Jeep sat for a day I turned the motor on, put it in neutral and checked my fluid again. It was right at the full mark. Engine light went off and the jeep ran great on the way home. Now today it threw the codes again. Can anyone help? I do not have a shop or a place to work on this. I am willing to learn and get it fixed.

I'm too lazy to look up the codes....
What is it doing specifically?

It's not doing anything. Every once in awhile it will slip out of gear. Right now I have the light that comes on and off. If the car sits for a while, the light will go off. Not sure if I need to flush my system and put in a new filter, rebuild my transmission or buy a rebuilt one.

First and foremost don't ever ever 'flush' an auto trans, especially a higher mileage one

If you haven't changed the fluid and filter lately it wouldn't be a bad idea, plus you'll get to see if there is anything in the pan that shouldn't be/abnormal build up of clutch material etc

I don't know much about transmissions in general, but since your getting intermittent tcm and tcc codes I'd start by cleaning all grounds/checking connections?

The popping out of gear thing, I have no clue on....

Maybe Rory can chime in with some help, he probably knows more about aw4's than most people here

Adjust the neutral safety switch on the side of the trans. It also may need to be cleaned and dielectric grease added. You can google the procedure. Drain atf out a little at a time to get your level right. Then check it again. Also inspect the fluid when you drain some, if it's pink milkshakey you have coolant in there.

Just went to Larry Mortons transmission service in Oregon City. He scanned it and the code he is getting is P1749. It's gonna cost $85 an hour to do electrical testing to figure out if its internal or external. I know there are people on here that know this stuff.

Larry is a good guy, and runs a good operation

Being that it's yet another tcc code I'd seriously pull and clean all grounds. Maybe you have a bad sensor or solenoid? With no drivability issues it seems odd

How many miles on the jeep?
How long have you had it?
Any other work done recently, or any other recent issues under the hood?

I have had my jeep for a year and a half, I have 230,000 miles on it. No other issues. I do baby the thing. Had an oil change at OC Jiffy Lube and they topped off all my fluids, with in a week I started getting this code.

Good ol jiffy lube....

I don't know if it would be related but they have way overfilled my junk more than once. Seems weird it would do it right after?

I'd drop the pan, new fluid filter and gasket, properly fill it and see what happens....
If it were mine

Next time it throws code, look to see if reverse lights work. If they don't adjust and or clean the NSS. Mine did this off and on even after cleaning it. I could never get it adjusted right. Only drivability issue was at freeway speeds. It wouldn't shift into high gear.

The Jiffy Lube guy thought I was dumb. I listened to his bull then flipped my info switch on. I told him that he wasn't a mechanic and he didn't know what he was talking about. He told me it wasn't his problem that my check engine light came on after I came in. When I told him but it is due to his lack of knowledge knowing how to properly fill a transmission pan with fluid, now I would contact an attorney. He called me a liar. Good job Chris at Oregon City Jiffy Lube. Now you pissed a 5'1" red head off!!!!!!!!! I called corporate and told them my issue. They still told me that my transmission is on its last leg and I need to rebuild it or take Otto a transmission shop.
Maybe I should take it to a shop and send them the bill.
But I can't do that. I'm moving on Saturday and need my Jeep to move my son and myself.

Back