• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thoughts?

rockclimber

Associate
NAXJA Member
Before I bend up another one of these.

Any thoughts on them? The bottom of that tube is 10" from the top of the tire. The tape doesn't quite hold it in place.

I will be redoing the inner fenders as well. The eventual goal is to run a 3-4" stretch and a 12" shock off the top of the axle or spring plate.

For now I don't have the $$ or time to deal with moving the fuel tank or getting a fuel cell so the wheelbase will stay stock.

i think the grey tape would match better, and has a higher tensile strength. but that's just me.

if you're going to stretch it, dont waste your time on 3-4". And i wouldnt waste your time on stretching it for 35's in the first place. I regret only stretching mine 5". Are you sure you even need to move your tank? i barely had to move mine to stretch it, with a much bigger axle.

You know I haven't really measured, although it *looks* like the dif is running close to the tank as is.

With the fenders bent how they are, I estimate I could get close to 6" of stretch. But i suppose they could always be re-worked some down the line. What you see now prevents me from having to move the fuel door.

i still have my (useless) fuel door, but i wish i just got rid of it since i have a cell anyways. It'll be hard to test your fuel tank clearance since you have leafs and can't just unbolt your coilovers or pull a coil spring to let it droop. without rigging up a rear suckdown winch of some sorts, i'm not quite sure how you'd do it.
You can always recess your stock tank into the floor just like my cell is. if you really need to. it wont cost much to do it that way.

Crap... We cut past the spot welds...

Big thanks to Souske for lending a hand.

Give Souske a grinder and anything will happen...

Easier to just cut it square and re-build. A little more will be cut out of the interior as well

Did you plan on totally destructing the structural integrity of the unibody? :laugh3:

This only works if you weld braces into the back before cutting. I hope you did that before opening the tailgate.
The body will keep on cracking along those sharply cut corners, even after you plate it.
Ask Grimmy for some pictures of cracks in his Jeeps body, before he started cutting panels away.

This only works if you weld braces into the back before cutting. I hope you did that before opening the tailgate.
The body will keep on cracking along those sharply cut corners, even after you plate it.
Ask Grimmy for some pictures of cracks in his Jeeps body, before he started cutting panels away.

plating and a cage should allow one to cut off whatever they want .

Back