• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thoughts on front LSD

Preface: I don't have Front LSD, I have factory rear LSD.

If you hit the skinny pedal, it will lose traction in both tires and slide all over. My 98 tends to self-correct and turn out driving in a striaght line, is well mannered in 2wd / snow so long as I'm gentle on the gas (this is how you should drive int he snow anyway).
In the front, you will get mixed reports. Most people talking about any traction control in front are talking about Aussies. Some will say that it is a death wish, others that you need to know how to drive it.
In my experience, you need to know how to drive it. My LSD isn't ideal for the snow. It is only with practice that I learned how to drive it in the slick stuff. A consideration might be that the back end sliding is much better than the front end sliding - think about that one. There are many snow drivers on the site that swear by a front auto-locker, though, and an auto locker is going to be WORSE than an LSD in slick conditions.
I hope this helps, cause I know for sure that many folks aren't.

WaXJ_Skier said:
I'll report back tomorrow, there is a chance it might snow tonight. Like I said earlier though Ive driven my Dads with LSD in the snow no problem, I actually learned to drive in that rig.

Please do, and be careful. I haven't driven locked in the snow, I'm mad I didn't even get to drive in the snow last winter.

I can tell you from experience though, when I was pulling out of the ditch I ended up in after I blew up my spider gears one offroad trip. I was headed back to where the trailers were, spider gears in front meshed and locked up while going around a corner, lost all steering and drove straight ahead off the road, this was going less than 20 mph, and it happened 3 times. This was also in April on a perfectly dry day on a paved road.

So I would say locked front end might be doable at crawling speed, but if you are going at a decent speed, that outer tire needs to travel a greater distance and just won't be able to give you good cornering.

Begster said:
spider gears in front meshed and locked up while going around a corner, lost all steering and drove straight ahead off the road, this was going less than 20 mph, and it happened 3 times. This was also in April on a perfectly dry day on a paved road.

quote]

blowing up spiders is fun :wierd: Blew my rear in August, thats why I have a locked D44 now

Ya I blew the 30, and that was on 32 BFG AT's. I replaced it with some used spiders for nothing, so I couldn't complain. I have a 44 and a locker waiting to go in once I get some motivation.

I'm thinking about an Ected for the front myself. Just had my busted tera-locker pulled out. I have driven locked/locked in the snow, but only to pull out other drivers. If your front is sliding sideways unlocked, locking it does give some directional ability. I never drove locked in normal driving on the highway. I would lock up the rear to do doughnuts in 2wd, helps kick out the rear easier. :)

I understand lockers, selectable and automatic, and how they effect steering, etc., but I couldn't really visualize how a lsd would effect it. So I read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential

What I took from that is that lsd's lock up more with more application of throttle. That says to me that with a clutch lsd like an Ected in the front, it shouldn't have much effect if you aren't giving it gas. Seems like it might be fine in the snow, but I haven't tried, so it's only an assumption.

Fred

Slonopotam has LSD's front and rear on 31s. I havent talked with him about driving in the snow, but PM him and he might have some info for you.

All I know is he got everywhere I did locked on 35s. And some places I didnt.

Side note:For those who are talking about driving in 4wd in the snow, how much are you actually doing this? From my limited experiences, I had no problems with traction in 2wd in both ice and snow. Only reason I could see needing 4wd would be in lots of unplowed snow, and then you wouldnt be going fast enough to be worried to much about losing some steering feel.

Starboard M said:
Slonopotam has LSD's front and rear on 31s. I havent talked with him about driving in the snow, but PM him and he might have some info for you.

All I know is he got everywhere I did locked on 35s. And some places I didnt.

Side note:For those who are talking about driving in 4wd in the snow, how much are you actually doing this? From my limited experiences, I had no problems with traction in 2wd in both ice and snow. Only reason I could see needing 4wd would be in lots of unplowed snow, and then you wouldnt be going fast enough to be worried to much about losing some steering feel.

This might be your experience but mine is completely different. Driving to ski resorts in montana, idaho, washington and everywhere else I have driven my XJ it is horrible in 2wd. Ya it does just fine on the highways but get around town and the switch backs with packed snow and ice it doesnt go far in 2wd. Now that I have a locker in the rear it can do much better in 2wd and 4wd for that matter once you know how to drive it.

And if your buddy is going places in 31's and lsd's where you cant on 35's and lockers something is definetly wrong.

I personally see no upgrade in the lsd in the front over a regular locker. You will get all the bad characteristics in the snow on road and most the bad characteristics offroad when open.

Back