• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thoughts and opinions on my stupidity

ausi02

NAXJA Forum User
So I was taking putting in an alternator and forgot to disconnect my battery, it sparked all kinds and then I decided to disconnect. I realize there isn't a whole lot that could have gotten messed up but I am worried about the black plastic thing on the alternator, is that some sort of regulator that I could have fried? It couldn't have messed anything else up right? 1998 4.0L What should I check?

You might first want to take the cover off the power center fuse box and take the time to go through all the fuses found in there. It's very possible to have fried one or more of those when that happened.

If those are all in good shape, you're probably fine to go ahead and finish the install and fire it up....... but it couldn't hurt to take the alternator to a parts store with an alternator tester and have it checked out to ensure it's working.

I just pulled it and had it tested prior...and it passed, i really dont want to take it off again; but if need be I will.

Also I will see if they can test it on the jeep. Yeah the battery gage is acting funny, it just randomly drops and the check gage light goes on. i will check the fuses and let you know.

it just randomly drops and the check gage light goes on. i will check the fuses and let you know.

AHHHH! EFFING ELECTRICAL CRAP! i had stuff like this going on too and after tons of time in the snow and dark trying to eliminate possibilities..... it was just the battery cables and a bad connection

Back