• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thought i'd share the new rig..

IIRC in my searching the 8.8 just needed the bolt pattern redrilled..and a spacer. Probably why you don't remember it?

Got the wheels back on, need to adjust the uppers a bit and make up some new hardlines. Getting there.

Gonna need to have my rear TW shaft extended.

So how bad is this coil lean going to affect handling?

About ready to cut the perches out and have the OEM perches welded in.

coillean_zpsaaaf56c9.jpg

Pat's are the only ones that I've seen that are close to straight up and down. I don't remember what the 4.5" coils looked like on one of my old ZJ's, but I think it was the same deal with them angled towards the rear.

These perches sit centered above tubes where the OEM's set centered over front edge of tube.. so it moved the coil center towards rear. And the perches sit ~1"+ taller so I bought some 3.5 coils.

Just kinda surprised me.. i'll get it fixed.

Hows the pinion look? Are the lowers adjustable? You could adjust the lowers a bit longer and take some of that angle out.

Pinion is down ~2* from the driveshaft, so it's close.

pinionangle_zpsc1e6f9c5.jpg

Speaking of lowers, i'm a bit uncomfortable with them cranked out this much.

rearmlower_zpsd190c111.jpg

This is how the axle is placed with the short arms, towards the front of wheelwell. This was the old axle but it's the same. Can just get my palm between tire and well at ride height.

ZJwork006_zpsd53c28bc.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not happy with the RE SA rear suspension, and looks like i'll be attaining a rear Clayton LA setup from a NAXJA Goodfella..

Also currently no rear swaybar, I placed the axle brackets incorrectly so those will be fixed when LA goes in and spring pads are relocated.

Also need a longer rear shaft, my current TW shaft is a few inches too short. I have 18" of tube between the welds, need something in the 21-22" range if anyone has an old shaft lying around.

The 44 is installed and brakes plumbed up, took it for a spin around neighborhood in the fresh snow we got.

I'm having trouble getting my TV cable adjusted after the intake swap, I seem to have an early hard shift to 2nd and 3rd. Must have tried 30 positions and still cant seem to find it. The newer style TV with the white clip are a major pita. Wondering if I can swap an older style "push button" cable in when I swap trans filter next.

zjrearshaft005_zps9c3d5a08.jpg

zjrearshaft003_zpsc29afb64.jpg

Speaking of lowers, i'm a bit uncomfortable with them cranked out this much.
This is how the axle is placed with the short arms, towards the front of wheelwell. This was the old axle but it's the same. Can just get my palm between tire and well at ride height.

ZJwork006_zpsd53c28bc.jpg
I have the Clayton rear setup.. And my axle is still in that "Forward" position, with 35" tires the diff cover would rub my gastank skid, and the tires would rub the rockerpanels.. I had to trim the rockers and bend the tank skid slightly.. and right now I have a "Happy median" but the axle is still "Forward" of the center of wheel-well

with that said, the Clayton setup will help that problem alot.. but you probably wont get it perfectly centered. :roll:

I have the Clayton rear setup.. And my axle is still in that "Forward" position, with 35" tires the diff cover would rub my gastank skid, and the tires would rub the rockerpanels.. I had to trim the rockers and bend the tank skid slightly.. and right now I have a "Happy median" but the axle is still "Forward" of the center of wheel-well

with that said, the Clayton setup will help that problem alot.. but you probably wont get it perfectly centered. :roll:

hah mine did the same thing, I had to make a big notch in the gas tank skid, and I took the plastic crap off the rocker panel.

Not worried so much about centering the axle, but the ride on SA's is unacceptable to me. Sure it could be dialed in a bit but I don't like the angled coils and steep angle on control arms.

The trackbar is a pita to install the bolt as is, had to jack the body up to clear the skid.

hah mine did the same thing, I had to make a big notch in the gas tank skid, and I took the plastic crap off the rocker panel.

I think i'll be ok with skid once I ditch the trackbar. If not i'll trim it..

Anyone know of a driveshaft shop in the Philly area?

Not worried so much about centering the axle, but the ride on SA's is unacceptable to me. Sure it could be dialed in a bit but I don't like the angled coils and steep angle on control arms.

The trackbar is a pita to install the bolt as is, had to jack the body up to clear the skid.

I think i'll be ok with skid once I ditch the trackbar. If not i'll trim it..

Anyone know of a driveshaft shop in the Philly area?

I use M&D racing in warminster for all my gears, driveshaft & weird custom crap. They can pretty much build anything. http://www.mdracecars.com/

Last edited:
Pete's Welding & Driveshafts is where I had a bunch of mine done back in the day:

913 N Olden Ave, Trenton, NJ 08638
(609) 392-3944

Quality & reasonable work but not always the nicest guys to deal with.

I think being miserable is a requirement in Trenton. I hate that shithole town..

On my 21st birthday I was driving my 71 Camaro down a street coming home from work.. did a lot of roofing in Trenton. Kid tossed a brick through my windshield.. father pulled a handgun on me and told me to get lost... I did.

I use M&D racing in warminster for all my gears, driveshaft & weird custom crap. They can pretty much build anything. http://www.mdracecars.com/

Thanks guys, i'll reach out.

Tom Woods hooked me up on extending my rear driveshaft.. they added 2.75" iirc.

Took it for a ride around town, got her up to 50MPH. Bit of vibes and handling issues.

I'd appreciate some input on my caster. Vehicle most likely not on level ground, front driveshaft angle of 10*, pinion angle @ ujoint showing 0* looks to be about 10* separation. Doing some reading I see the usual disagreement to which takes preference.. pinion or caster.

Obviously I need to extend my uppers, what should I shoot for as far as separation.. 2-3* as i'v read? Then see where I'm at..

Back