• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

This wouldn't happen to an XJ!

I guess I wont be buying that 3'' body lift for the cherokee then. Would 2'' be better? Do I really need to use grade 8 bolts?

What I want to know is how the engine came off

engine, tranny, and t case all came out of there. my guess is it cartwheeled and landed hard enough to bust the crossmember bolts loose, which with one more hard flip translated all the weight of all those components to the 2 engine mounts. it sheared off all 8 of the body mount bolts...im not suprised the engine came out.

Those rusty body mounts will do it every time. Had to do mine on my 69 willys custom when I crawled under there to replace the gas tank. Saw how bad they were. Guy who did my exhaust system spent about 2 hours welding once I got them loose and ready to be worked on.

84815.jpg

84814.jpg

84812.jpg

RichP said:
Those rusty body mounts will do it every time.

Man, those pictures sent a shiver down my spine. Anyway...

I got curious as to the backstory on all of this, so dug up the original thread. Considering how the authorities believe the accident to have happened as well as the body/frame separation, he's damned lucky to have walked away from that in one piece.

That

is

fawking

amazing!

I've actually been thinking of SJ's a bit lately - it'd be kinda fun to have a '79 Cherokee (I was born in '79). Me thinks if I ever went forward with that idea I'd be checking the body mounts reeeeaaal well!

GSequoia said:
I've actually been thinking of SJ's a bit lately - it'd be kinda fun to have a '79 Cherokee (I was born in '79). Me thinks if I ever went forward with that idea I'd be checking the body mounts reeeeaaal well!

'73-back... No smog hassles, and it's still essentially the same vehicle ;)

There is no chance I am going to believe that happened the way he is describing it.. I am supposed to believe that the body came off the frame and took with it the Engine, Transmission, Transfercase, Driveshafts, and Gas tank? and that at least 8 bolts sheared off clean...along with the motor mounts and transmission mount. Where are the brake lines from the frame to the body? there are alot more things that attach frame to body.. My guess is it was being flat towed and that red strap (draped over driver side rear window) was holding the body onto the frame, things went bad and it ended in a ditch in two pieces.

This is not a stretch, nor impossible. It is easy to second guess it all from "web site learning".

As an ex Rescue Squad Captain and Fire Chief.... this is not that uncommon. I have also seen it with newe vehicles that were not modified.... it does happen.

The engine is sort of "captive" in the body. If the motor mounts are old, oil soaked etc.... the rip apart rather easly.

Ludakris said:
There is no chance I am going to believe that happened the way he is describing it.. I am supposed to believe that the body came off the frame and took with it the Engine, Transmission, Transfercase, Driveshafts, and Gas tank? and that at least 8 bolts sheared off clean...along with the motor mounts and transmission mount. Where are the brake lines from the frame to the body? there are alot more things that attach frame to body.. My guess is it was being flat towed and that red strap (draped over driver side rear window) was holding the body onto the frame, things went bad and it ended in a ditch in two pieces.

my guess is the sheisty 3" body lift was installed with pretty silvery colored grade 5 hardware. theres still a steering shaft, brake lines, shift linkages, and other shat attaching the body to the chassis though. maybe the wreck was just way worse than it looks. he was probably running 70-80 on that highway. that means an easy 7-10 rolls if he did it just right. its possible.

he is from Michigan. Michigan equals rust. Now if you had delibertly tried to get the bolts out I bet they would be rusted in. I bet it scared the crap outa him.

Back