• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

This just made me a little ill.

And people wonder why original Willys and M416s are so damn expensive.

mother of god

mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

No way that crap just sat there and rotted, I mean come on the USA is the most practical, economical, non-wasteful country in the world.

No way that crap just sat there and rotted, I mean come on the USA is the most practical, economical, non-wasteful country in the world.
Do I detect some sarcasm?:roflmao:

If they brought them back, then willys would have gone bankrupt. When you have that many surplus vehicles there is no choice but to dump them so that auto manufacturers can build new ones.

My Dad was in the Philipines when WWII ended. He told me stories of loading three amphibious trucks full of equipment, taking them out past the reefs and pulling the hull plugs. They'd swim to another truck and go do it again. Army procedure is to leave no useful equipment behind for the enemy.

I'm betting Japan scrapped those Jeeps and sold them back to us as Toyotas, etc.

you know the usaf is storing a bunch of planes at the bottom of lake Washington here in wa

Oh, about 5.5 mil in "07.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacier_Girl

Takes a little work to get them running though(that's after you find them)

A little further off topic - my wife's Grandfather (celebrating his 90th in a few months) was a P-38 pilot in the Pacific. He loved that plane more than any others that he'd flown, before, during, or after the war (was a pilot his entire life). A few years after he returned from Okinawa, his sister called and asked if he was interested in owning a P-38 of his own - apparently the military was selling off a bunch, and she wanted to buy one for him (forgot the amount). It broke his heart, but he had to say no - having the military's budget to store and maintain it is one thing - having to foot the bill for care and feeding on your own? He was practical enough to admit he would've never had the time or funds to fly the plane as much as he'd like to.

I have read a couple reports--could just be urban legends--that the U.S. auto manufacturers made the government agree to NOT return and dump on the market all of those surplus vehicles and trailers as part of their production agreements during the war.

Back