• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thinkin about Moab this year

IslanderOffRoad said:
With the new job I've taken taking up much more of my weekends, I'm left less time to wheel in the Spring and Summer. I'm looking to make some of that up by using my vacation time for an awesome wheeling trip in October... and well, this fits the bill perfectly.

But I feel that my Jeep isn't quite ready for Moab. What mods should I focus on between now and October to make my Jeep Moab-Ready? Nothing extreme, as my budget isn't huge, just what is necessary above what I've already got (see signature)

Thanks.
First time I was in Moab I had 31's and 4.10's and a 5speed and I had a blast! Locker in rear and you can have LOTS of fun!

IslanderOffRoad said:
With the new job I've taken taking up much more of my weekends, I'm left less time to wheel in the Spring and Summer. I'm looking to make some of that up by using my vacation time for an awesome wheeling trip in October... and well, this fits the bill perfectly.

But I feel that my Jeep isn't quite ready for Moab. What mods should I focus on between now and October to make my Jeep Moab-Ready? Nothing extreme, as my budget isn't huge, just what is necessary above what I've already got (see signature)

Thanks.

I dunno, I've taken a pretty stock rig down to Moab with 4" lift, 3:07 Open diffs, 32's with a 5spd and it did great. 4+ trails.

Israel said:
Also, don't shy away from the "mild" trails. We seem to get caught up with the need for maximum challenge without realizing that all the trails down there are going to be a lot of fun and offer some of the best scenery you've ever come across. I say when the trail list is posted up, ask for suggestions on what people think you'd be able to handle and go from there.

i couldnt agree more! my first time out i had on idea what to expect and was a little intimidated at first. but even the "easy" trails will be pretty damn awesome.
if you've never been to Moab, buy this book.. it explains everything from an almost newbie point of view. so the difficulty levels might be a bit over-rated from your experience.
http://www.funtreks.com/index.php?page=book_3

through some rockrails on get a cheap locker and come have fun moab don't need major modified equipment to do the trails down here

I'm also thinking about going to Moab this year. I heard that AT's are better for the Moab rock?

If so, I might think about getting a set since it will also be better for the drive out there and back compared to the muds I have right now.

gorilla_skater said:
I'm also thinking about going to Moab this year. I heard that AT's are better for the Moab rock?

If so, I might think about getting a set since it will also be better for the drive out there and back compared to the muds I have right now.
BFG AT's stick to slickrock like to glue :)

Kejtar said:
BFG AT's stick to slickrock like to glue :)

yep. I second that one. perfect tire for moab unless you do a mud run in Kane Creek

Actually it doesn't really matter what tire you run in Moab. They all stick to slickrock.

Ive run BFG A/Ts, BFG M/ts, MT/rs and and ProCrap X-terrains and can't tell a difference between them on slickrock.

Well, looks like I'm getting a decent tax return that will fund the parts I need for Moab! Should be able to get rock rails, a gas tank skid, and maybe a lunchbox for the front.

IslanderOffRoad said:
Well, looks like I'm getting a decent tax return that will fund the parts I need for Moab! Should be able to get rock rails, a gas tank skid, and maybe a lunchbox for the front.
Be sure to carry a banana and some water in your lunchbox. Dehydration can be a problem in Moab, even in October.

JohnX said:
Be sure to carry a banana and some water in your lunchbox. Dehydration can be a problem in Moab, even in October.
A banana?

"Ernie...you have a banana in your ear."

"Whats that Burt? I can't hear you I have a banana in my ear"

JohnX said:
What is this "snow" thing you speak of?

I saw some of it on Cleghorn a few weeks ago

Ok... I've managed to get the following done:

Rock rails, lunchbox up front, fuel tank skid, and a few other things.

One thing on my list was to do the SYE before going, but as the days get closer I'm starting to doubt it will happen. I've been running where I'm at without an SYE for over a year with no ill effects.. should be no problem in Moab right?

Back