• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Things learned at Moab Fest.......

1. I feel dirty after being sand blasted for 3 days.
2. I feel really dirty after holding nuts and playing with rear ends.
3. Troy has a thing for Firefighters.
4. Don't keep the Jeep Gods up past bedtime. They will repay you with multiple trail repairs the next day.
5. Night wheeling Kane Creek was a blast but check #4.
6. "We can catch that silly 7:17 group." See #4
7. Some trail food will give you Hells Revenge.
8. Wal Mart XJ has everything.
9. Great bunch of folks to wheel with!

All true, probably not funny. So here's my list.

1. Diving with smoke pouring out the back of your Jeep gets people to drive around you.
2. Check your fluids, and then double check them. (See #1)
3. Moab really isn't that far, or expensive. If you don't have to fix/tow/abandon anything.
4. Slickrock Campground is actually the center of Moab.
5. Milt's has amazing Chili Cheese Burgers.
5.1 Milt's is only open 11-8
6. The real reason that hummers have a canopy with the fringe on top.
7. The rock huggers were WRONG!
8. Cutout doors make side hills less sketchy.
9. If you air down you can climb almost anything.
10. Lockers are over-rated.
11. Hells Gate is steep and looks mean, but you won't notice if you're focused on your spotter.
12. Tip Over Challenge isn't much of either for an XJ.
13. Watch out for the guy in the sweat pants.
14. 7:17 is an excellent time to roll out for the Trifecta.
15. Not all mildly built XJ owners should attempt the Trifecta, and some have the good sense to turn around when they fail the first ledge.
16. Do NOT Smack the Crack.
17. Get her front up, then roll in to it.
18. When about 9 Jack and Cokes in, SteveT freely admits he will do almost anything to get guys to fondle his nuts.
19. Troy is picky about the Jack to Coke ratio of his beverage.
20. Campfires are fantastic way to spend the evening. (Not new knowledge, just a reminder)
21. Area BFE has port a johns.
22. Fins 'N' Things isn't difficult but it is a really fun trail with a small group.
23. J-9 is Zith's pimp.
24. SteveT can bring home the Bacon AND fry it up in a pan.
25. I really, REALLY need a CB in the Jeep.
26. Not everyone in the town of Moab likes people who drive Jeeps
27. Moab is a blast.

--Tom

1) If you want to know how to crawl double whammy, watch an XJ do it first.
2) SteveT has an interesting thing in common with Liberace.
3) Good parenting advice: “Stay away from the boy with the hatchet”.
4) Ben_Dyer can cook a great Breakfast!
5) Too many Jack and Cokes make you need to go to church…
6) Troy isn’t that bad at Mickey’s hot tub, he gets in really easy.
7) Something about camp food doesn’t agree with people, or the bathroom is just broke.
8) If you witness a motorcycle accident with possible injuries, first verify the camera was rolling.
9) Why yes, that pulley is on backwards.
10) Yes, that is a hint of jealousy you detect.
11) Sheared steering box bolts help ease the affects of death wobble.
12) If you ask a person to step out of their jeep, don’t be surprised if their pants are around their ankles.
13) Krickets are awesome!
14) The shackles on the Grand Hero were previously worn by Beezle.
15) Wet Wipes aren’t just for babies.
16) Sometimes down is scarier then up.
17) If you don’t know how to use a tool, ask JohnJohn(see #13).
18) 7:17 is an easy time to remember.
19) 7:17 is a bad time to realize your underwear may be on backwards.
20) Chinese food in Moab probably isn’t the best.
21) Brad never gets a word in while in the shower.
22) It’s fun to talk about those without CBs on the trail.
23) When your steak has too much bone to eat in a sandwich, resort to eating it with your fingers.
24) When one bottle jack isn’t enough, use two.
25) Break cleaner is not flammable in Moab.
26) Don’t leave your junk on the side of I-70, them hills have eyes.
27) After two days in Moab, we all are rednecks.
28) Limited slip is sometimes not that limited.
29) Can’t wait to wheel with you all again!

:laugh:

you Moab rolled into it...no crawling from you. :confused1 :angel:
Sir, is that a hint of jealousy in your voice? If I recall I showed you the way. :laugh3:

And for the record, that is the slowest possible speed to get started with a stick shift.

I'll add just 2 things;

1. Don't brag about a DANA 35 non C clip axle with over 270k on it.

2. Don't hold your valve stem cap in your teeth while airing up your tires and admiring the brown stripes on the side of your jeep.

having no doors is not cooler when your leg ends up being more red than slick rock

tom is very touchy about his rear end and will not go faster if you try to touch him

steve and brian dont talk much when they are not face to face in the showers

The number one key to running hells gate is having 4-low but it is possable to do it in 2-low with a VERY slight tug

when Johnjohn is spotting you will make it up the obsticle if you watch him or his kid trevor

Cam's kid Riley will woop your butt in slug bug

never prophesize your own crash when 30 people are all watching (Smack at the Crack)

Troy can teach you about your rig even if he has never saw it. (thanks again)

Having a goats leg tied to your rear view mirror is completly cool when apart of NAXJA.

tom is very touchy about his rear end and will not go faster if you try to touch him

If you're going to try and ride my rear end I expect dinner and a kiss first at the very least. :rof:

--Tom

Last edited:
understatement of the year -- 60-70mph gusts chased us out of camping at Arches (although it wasn't as bad in town) - yesterday afternoon you could barely see the west rim from town, the dust storm was that thick. On a 10 scale, Friday aside, the weather was a 3 (Friday was damn nice).

pic from the hotel room - 5pm Sunday looking towards the west rim over Moab -- nasty!

DSCN1108.jpg

any one planning a summer run?

29. This is not what you want to see coming at ya around a blind corner on a dirt road
30. Cows WILL jump off a shelf road before being hit by a car..... unlike deer or elk.....

MoabMay2010361.jpg

Last edited:
Probably only 30 mph or so....... but still kinda hard to stop on that loose road. That photo shows the tail end of the cattle drive. At the time, those cowboys were way down the road as were the cattle. I suppose there were 200/250 head in that drive. The up-front cows and I scared the beejezus outta each other - 3 cows jumped to the right off the road and down into that wash. One of the cowboys pointed his horse down into the wash and tore off after 'em - kinda cool to see really. All the cattle dogs followed him down there to help round 'em up. :D

In this pic, you can see a couple calves heading down into the wash following the 3 cows that jumped down into it. This pic shows the cows all along the road down farther and by the time Janine got to taking a picture here, the cows were just starting to turn off the road up the hill. If you look beyond Janine's antenna at the road in the background, that's about where the cowboy was that dropped into the wash to go after the cows.

MoabMay2010355.jpg

It was actually pretty cool to sit and watch them all move along, see the cowboys and the dogs work to keep the drive moving and all together. :thumbup:

Video of the drive:

Last edited:
I got stuck behind a 500-head+ cattle drive on the river road to Cisco about 15 years ago... literally waited for an hour for them to find a spot they could clear off the road. Definitely had a cool factor though :peace:

Troy to correctly put it it would be around 75-80 pairs :D

#31 after cows have been on a road, and then you drive down that said road, dont smell the side of your jeep

I guess I grew up on a ranch with about a thousand head of cattle. Never heard anybody refer to punching them down a road as cool unless they were a city slicker. :guitar:

Back