• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The weight of rock????

4ward

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in a position to get some large rocks placed where I want them. Problem is moving them about. Any geologist types out there? I'm looking to move what I believe is a fairly hard limestone in 4'x4'x10' sections.

LOW DENSITY - Limestone having a density ranging from 110 through 135/lb/ft3 (1760 through 2160 kg/m3)..

MEDIUM DENSITY - Limestone having a density greater that 135 and not greater than 160 lb/ft3 (2160 through 2560 kg/m3).

HIGH DENSITY - Limestone having a density greater than 160 lb/ft3 (2560 kg/m3).

Your size looks like 4x4x10 = 160 cu. ft.

@ 110 lb/cu.ft. = 17600 lb

@180 lb/cu.ft. = 28800 lb

Somewhere in that range, sorry I can't nail it down more accurate.

Go to Sam's club, get a couple big containers of Crisco, strap those beyotches to the ol' jeep, throw 'er in 4-lo and go to town. YMMV

the guys in my jeep club did what lawn cher' said, minus the crisco to drag a bunch of rocks from out of the property line to a central location in this dude's back yard at a party we had

so we had a mini rock garden for just goofin' off and flexing or whatever.

rocks are generally heavier than they look, ones that size , you would need some seroius rigging to move them, or high explosives if they didnt need to stay in one piece....

OneTonXJ said:
I'm in a position to get some large rocks placed where I want them. Problem is moving them about. Any geologist types out there? I'm looking to move what I believe is a fairly hard limestone in 4'x4'x10' sections.

Guess your really not in a position to get them where you want them, are ya.

Call in a heavy left helicopter. It will be worth the $$$ you spend.

GSequoia said:
Just get a half a dozen Samoans and a few cases of cheap beer.

Get it done ILWU style.

How did they make Easter Island, Stone Henge, and the pyramids of both the Egyption & Mayan cultures?

Beej said:
The Viracochas are responsible. In other words, space aliens.

Then Mr Rose is barking up the wrong tree here.

Lawn Cher' said:
How did they make Easter Island, Stone Henge, and the pyramids of both the Egyption & Mayan cultures?

this little guy did all of those with those jedi mind tricks...
yoda.jpg

My neighbors and I just bought some to keep the a$$E$ from cutting corners on the grass. I was amazed at what they weighted for the size. These are just moss rock. The granite stuff was much heavier!

hinkley

No matter how you slice it, those rocks are gonna add a lot of weight to your property. I've seen some good looken faux rocks at a fraction of the weight.

Paul

can't wait to see the vid of Rosey snappin faux rock.....like Kip poppin tupperware with Uncle Rico's van......

U will need a trackhoe..........

GSequoia said:
A ridden hard and put away wet run down woman that hangs around Nascar?

No you damn left coasster....

cat.dcs.cmms.servlet.ImageServlet

Trackhoe's are too limiting for me. I'll be getting an endloader to move this junk around. Guess I can't do it one rock at a time by putting them on my F250's flatbed :wierd:

Back