• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Volvo Limited Slip

Also, wasn't there a way to swap a dana 35 locker into a dana 30 or vice versa. Something to do with c-clip or not?

Might be a cheap option for the dana 35 guys also

I think there's a way to fit a 35 in a 30 with shaving or something. Thats beyond me. I've seen that topic come up here and there. As far as 30 to 35 not sure at all.

But if you are going to do an axle swap, why not just buy an 8.25 for a bolt on swap or an 8.8 if you're going to do some fab anyways.

no, it doesn't. A gerotor style one does because it's got a hydraulic pump that gets spun by the side gear, when that happens it increases pressure and locks the diff.
A torsen gear driven style will also respond to torque, but only when it senses severe wheel slip past it's torque bias.

a plain old LSD with clutches and steels is simply a friction device that links the two shafts with spring pressure. It does not adapt to torque or wheel speed. When one tire needs to go faster than the other it overcomes the friction and does so.

Not quite true. Sure, the spring (or springs) provides modest pressure, but torque is what makes the spider gears create a much greater outward force on the side gears thereby tightening the clutch packs. The Mustang guys sometimes do away with the spring entirely in their 8.8s. (That will only work when both tires have good traction.)

Last edited:
Hello from across the way at ComancheClub. I just picked up two lsd diffs and am a little confused on the details. This seems to be the most in depth thread on the mysterious Volvo limited slip I can find so I thought it would be a good idea to keep the info here instead of scattered amongst various threads.

The ratios are 4.10 and 3.73. My current front setup is the factory high pinion D30 w/ 3.07 gears. My rear setup is irrelevant at this point because I intend to swap in a Ford 8.8 with 4.10s to replace my current 8.25 w/ 3.55s.

My question is what can I do as far as gearing? Can I use the Volvo R&P or do I have to buy a new R&P? As you might have already guessed, I really want 4.10s so I was really excited when I found the one i did, but from what I have read you cannot use the Volvo gears.

Also is there anything else special needed to make it fit besides shaving a bit off the driver side axle shaft. How much is it again? I've heard anywhere between 10 - 4mm.

Thanks.

Hello from across the way at ComancheClub. I just picked up two lsd diffs and am a little confused on the details. This seems to be the most in depth thread on the mysterious Volvo limited slip I can find so I thought it would be a good idea to keep the info here instead of scattered amongst various threads.

The ratios are 4.10 and 3.73. My current front setup is the factory high pinion D30 w/ 3.07 gears. My rear setup is irrelevant at this point because I intend to swap in a Ford 8.8 with 4.10s to replace my current 8.25 w/ 3.55s.

My question is what can I do as far as gearing? Can I use the Volvo R&P or do I have to buy a new R&P? As you might have already guessed, I really want 4.10s so I was really excited when I found the one i did, but from what I have read you cannot use the Volvo gears.

Also is there anything else special needed to make it fit besides shaving a bit off the driver side axle shaft. How much is it again? I've heard anywhere between 10 - 4mm.

Thanks.

What I have pieced together from all the reading I have done is, the Volvo R&P is much more stout, and will not work in this swap. You must use the R&P for your housing.
3/8" removed from drivers side axle shaft. Again, this is pieced together from what I have read, and have not done this personally.

You can't use the Volvo Ring or pinion. Just gear it like its a regular Dana 30 carrier. No special stuff, don't let it deceive you. Refer the the first vid. A lot of questions people ask me are already answered. 3/8" off the driver side axle, Dana 30 R&P, Gear like normal. Boom you're done.

Fun fact: The Volvo axle this is pulled from is a D30 housing with the obvious add ons.

I always like to throw out there, the fact that this is by no means a one all do all swap. A detroit TruTrac is probably in many cases a lot better of an option. The volvo thing is just so damn cheap and it works, you can't really go wrong in the short term.

Thanks very much for the clarification.

I have watched all three videos at least three times in the past couple of months but I don't recall anything about what to do as far as gears. There is a section in one of the videos where the guys use a whiteboard to draw a roadmap explaining what to look for and what gear ratios certain setups may have.

But this is where I got confused. Why tell us what gear ratios might be available if we can't use them? Is there a carrier break for the Volvo lsd? Why else would it matter what gear ratio the Volvo had if your not going to be able to run them in your jeep?

Thanks very much for the clarification.

I have watched all three videos at least three times in the past couple of months but I don't recall anything about what to do as far as gears. There is a section in one of the videos where the guys use a whiteboard to draw a roadmap explaining what to look for and what gear ratios certain setups may have.

But this is where I got confused. Why tell us what gear ratios might be available if we can't use them? Is there a carrier break for the Volvo lsd? Why else would it matter what gear ratio the Volvo had if your not going to be able to run them in your jeep?

Carrier break is same as the d30 carriers. 3:55/3:73.

Ok, I think I understand now. In order to use gears deeper than 3.73 you have to find an lsd that is on that side of the carrier break. Which would also explain why the Enlisted Budget dudes explained which Volvos might have the different ratios.

Well that's cool, because that means the two diffs I have will except the deeper ratios.

Yes sir that's why we did. Good score on two. They're kinda rare where im at.

We may have missed a thing or two in the vids and small details like that.

Back