• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The state of skilled trades as told by Mike Rowe

I made my "come uppins'" in a machine shop all during Jr. High and then High school before joining the U.S. Army

I pushed a broom and cleaned up grease and oil, laid brick, built temporary walls so I go to work with all most every trade in the machine shop.

I can say with out a doubt I love working more with the "old timers" simply because I learned things from them. You know the 65+ year old guys that have worked there for 45 years - the pipe fitters, the carpenters, the metal cutters and the set up men.

All of them are firmly and ingrained in my mind and more importantly my heart.

I had the privileged to receive the Kennedy tool box from the widow of one of my "heroes" back in the 80's and is still with me today - every time I go to my tool shed and see that Brown Kennedy box - I think of Larry - I think of Touborg Beer (his only drink I think), his wife, and all the things I learned form him and his fellow Sr. Trades.

Great link - Thank you .

I couldnt agree more with Mike Rowe.
I am a college student and school is for me but I know so many people in school that either shouldnt be because they just arent meant for it or they are there just cause thats what they think they have to or because they just think they can skate through and get a job because they have a degree.
I am going to be a mechanical engineer but I have also been working for several years as a design engineer (yeah I sit in front of a computer all day but I actually really enjoy it) and I got the job because my school had a tech program that dealt with architecture and mechanical stuff so I learned how to do it by hand and then on the computer and I really think more kids would benefit from tech programs of all sorts in high school there really should be a more diverse curriculum because people cant get jobs from what they are learning its ridiculous. I got lucky to say the least but most arent and trades are a true profession that one helps the economy and two is stimulating and good work.
There rant over haha

Edit: I actually know how to weld and I know construction from being taught by my grandfather who was/is a general contractor for many many years so I know where I stand and what direction is for me. Kids arent getting that these days they just straight up dont know. And they real world is a bitch and will bite you.

Back