• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

the right locker?

Brandon41177

NAXJA Forum User
okay so i have a 1996 jeep cherokee with 3.5 rubicion lift, skyjacker t-case drop, 31 1050 15 cooper discoverys, super lift adj track bar, and basically everything else is stock. d30 in the front, and d35 in the rear. now i would like to know about a locker for the front, i was thinking about going aussie, i like the idea of cheap, easy install, and no need for on board air or cables. but i would like to know, can i keep the stock gearing? is it a bad idea with stock gearing? is aussie a good locker? should i go with a different locker? should i spend money on my d35 and lock that first? what are your experiences with lockers?

the aussie is a good locker. little noisey from what i read but its bareable (sp)
wouldnt spend the money on the d35. if you lock it it'll most likely break something.
if it doesnt have abs i'd look for a 97+ chrysler 8.25.

Check out PowerTrax by Richmond gear. If you search PowerTrax you'll get tons of threads. It's drop in for the 8.25. No messing with gears. Good road manners also.

Good Luck

as long as the gears are the same, its a bolt on swap to put in an 8.25 ( as long as is a xj axle)

Look for a metal tag on either axle, most auto trans Cherokees have 3.55 gears.
I like my rear PowerTrax also.
Are you sure you have a Dana 35? Anti-lock brakes had the D35, others had the 8.25 in '96.
If you want to get an 8.25 try to get a 29 spline and not the 27, they changed sometime during '96, the only way to know is to pull the axle and count the splines.

Aussie is the way to go for cheap and reliable. I have had two in different Jeeps with no problems whatsoever. They do click in a turn, but nothing major.

Back