• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

the REAL strength of a Dana35......

Haleyes said:
I did the 8.8 swap and I don't wheel near as much as I'd like. Maybe a good wheeling trip every 3-4 months, not including the occasional jaunt through the river bottoms. I feel my efforts are well worth it too. Not to mention I really enjoyed the project. It was just as much for the beefyness as it was the "I did it myself" factor for me. I went with the 8.8 cause I got it dirt cheap. That was the first major Jeep project for me. Very glad I did it. I would not put any money into your D35. It'd be like buying ice to watch it melt.
Exactly, lately I havent been wheeling near as much as I would like so you have to enjoy the build just as much or more than the riding, otherwise its a lost cause.

workaholic said:
Go 8.8, dont even bother with the dana35
Keep the Dana35, even with just a locker and gears they will take a bit of a beating
Keep the Dana35, if you need it the super35 kit makes them bullet proof

What do you all think?

Thanks
Tom

It's not worth spending huge amounts of money upgrading the D35 because even with the Super 35 kit, you've still got the problem of weak axle tubes that can bend under extreme loads.
Either swap in a D44 or a Ford 8.8 for serious wheeling.

pick up a dana 44 from an XJ. i got two of them dirt cheap from u-pull-it bone yards. one for my xj and one for a comanche. 30 spline, bolt in. paid $80 for one of them and $200 for the other.

-Tim

Just for reference here are the Toy axle widths.... And like a 9" the have front loading carriers (Just an alternative)

Toyota Axle Width Table
1979 - 1985 Front Axle56"
1979 - 1985 Rear Axle55"
1986 - 1995 Rear Axle58"

what are you doing with this thing? If its mild offroad and not too often I say lift it and keep the D35 in there awhile. Ive personally seen them hold up in xj's, yj's and tj's under some pretty hard wheeling in rocks and mud. I do agree no locker, maybe a limited slip at best, and you will have to know when to back off to avoid stressing the axle. Worse case -pick up a set of spare shafts, if you break it fix it, then start looking to upgrade.

Alot of people may disagee with me....some have first hand experience, some have seen it in person, and some have read it on the web.

Last edited:
91Runner said:
Just for reference here are the Toy axle widths.... And like a 9" the have front loading carriers (Just an alternative)

Toyota Axle Width Table
1979 - 1985 Front Axle56"
1979 - 1985 Rear Axle55"
1986 - 1995 Rear Axle58"

There are 60" wide Toy axles in Tacomas and 4runners, and about 65" wide from T100s and Tundras.

BrettM said:
33s with an open diff may survive a while, but add a locker and it's gonna blow.

I'm not a big fan of the 8.8 swap, I'd go with an XJ/MJ D44, Toyota 8" or Ford 9".

Heh!! :) I'm glad that you mentioned the Toyota 8". As I also have a yota, I have looked really hard at doing a Toyota 8" in my 90 Cherokee. There are a couple plusses -- Big time.......... Just build up a spare pod (the guts and carrier if that's what you care to call it) to carry with you, along with an axle, and you have just about an "instant change" rear end should something break. It isn't the pain in the butt to set up the ring and pinion. Strength wise, it is a good strong rear end. Toyota uses them in their little 1-ton PU's too. I've got an 84, it's like 55" wide. Can use offset rims to make up the difference with 12.50 tires.

But it sure could be a butt saver on the trail in the middle of nowhere. What are the two main vehicles you see on the trails here in the Northwest... Jeeps and Toyotas. Just a thought to keep in mind with the parts availability thing on the trail.

Bruce

Rev Den said:
X2

Currie will also do a D44 for less than the 9". IF you do not have the fab ability, it is not that bad of an expense.

Rev

Currie 44? :laugh:

It's better/cheaper to troll the junk yards for a XJ44 than spend 8 times more for a Currie 44.

We pay $130-ish for a junk yard XJ 44 out here in LA (when you find them)

I broke a Dana 35 non c-clip with 30's, and a 2.8. I prefer not to "upgrade" to a c-clip axle, I say get a 44

Last edited:
cracker said:

It's better/cheaper to troll the junk yards for a XJ44 than spend 8 times more for a Currie 44.

Well whoopie for you.

I have better things to do with my time then "troll" the few yards in this area looking for one, heck, even finding an XJ is getting rough. Not everyone wants to deal with a junkyard axle. Never said it was a cheap way...just an option.

Rev

My 2 cents:

1. I used to ride with a guy who ran a Super 35 in his YJ. The rig had 33's. For the couple of years that I was part of that club, he didn't have any problems with it (e.g., no bent tubes, etc.). Despite popular thinking around here, I would consider this an option for someone who would be doing relatively mild wheeling, and didn't want to hassle with what it takes to set a different axle underneath.

2. I have looked at junkyard 44's. Most of these "I picked up a 44 for $50" comments fail to note that it took more $$ to rebuild it and get it set up for their rig. Now, it might still be cheaper overall, but be warned that it isn't so easy to find a good used XJ/MJ 44 that doesn't require a fair amount of cash for a rebuild. If you do find one, expect to usually pay quite a bit for it.

3. Personally, given that I don't fall into the "hardcore" fourwheeler category, I am going to swap out my 35 for a 29 spline 8.25. The strength of the 8.25 seems to be somewhere between the 35 and 44. So, it is an option. To me, this swap is attractive because it should be easier to find one that doesn't need additional money to rebuild, it should drop right in, and it gives a strength upgrade.

Hope this helps,

K.

Rev Den said:
Well whoopie for you.

I have better things to do with my time then "troll" the few yards in this area looking for one, heck, even finding an XJ is getting rough. Not everyone wants to deal with a junkyard axle. Never said it was a cheap way...just an option.

Rev

You have better things to do with your time? :bs: You waste it all here on NAXJA forums all day :rolleyes:.
Correction, a Currie 44 is an outrageously priced option.

Last edited:
cracker said:

I can't agree more. I'm putting my Trac-lok (it's not a Detroit but it'll do for now) Explorer disked braked D44 junkyard special into my '96 tomorrow and I've got less than $200 into it. What do you think Currie or (gulp) Dynatrac would charge for something like that. And after I sell my 8.25 it'll essentially be free. Yay!-------Hans

cracker said:
You have better things to do with your time? :bs: You waste it all here on NAXJA forums all day :rolleyes:.
Correction, a Currie 44 is an outrageously priced option.

So...this club and its forums are a waste of time? Glad to know you feel that way Mr. BOD guy. :D

Hey...Currie ain't for everyone, know someone to build a D44 to their level for significantly less? When will you guys learn that not everyone has the ability or the desire to fab everything, or grab junkyard parts to build their Jeep? Why must you continue to run down the guys who just want to buy the right thing, all set-up, and bolt it in? Does the fact that I do that make me less of a "wheeler"?

Hey Currie ain't cheap....you get what you pay for.....over 100K miles on my Currie D44, ARB, and discs and I have never had a problem...and it bolted right in.

Hey...you think Currie cost to much...fine, but for the guy who wants to bolt in a new axle in less than an hour and be ready to go, you cannot beat it.

I apologize to the original author of this thread, it was my intention to simply offer that there is another option that could be considered. I am done with this, there will always be those of closed mind that think they can do things better and cheaper than any vendor.

Rev

Last edited:
Rev Den said:
So...this club and its forums are a waste of time? Glad to know you feel that way Mr. BOD guy. :D

Hey...Currie ain't for everyone, know someone to build a D44 to their level for significantly less? When will you guys learn that not everyone has the ability or the desire to fab everything, or grab junkyard parts to build their Jeep? Why must you continue to run down the guys who just want to buy the right thing, all set-up, and bolt it in? Does the fact that I do that make me less of a "wheeler"?

Hey Currie ain't cheap....you get what you pay for.....over 100K miles on my Currie D44, ARB, and discs and I have never had a problem...and it bolted right in.

Hey...you think Currie cost to much...fine, but for the guy who wants to bolt in a new axle in less than an hour and be ready to go, you cannot beat it.

I apologize to the original author of this thread, it was my intention to simply offer that there is another option that could be considered. I am done with this, there will always be those of closed mind that think they can do things better and cheaper than any vendor.

Rev

I know exactly where you are coming from, going on my 3rd engine management setup on my bmw. I tried to go with a less expensive route thinking it would work but in the end i'm having to plunk down the serious coin for a plug and play system that is gauranteed to work not only because it is known to work but I just dont want to fight with it anymore. Thanks for the headsup on currie, if you dont mind how did you put down for currie to build your dana 44?

Thanks
Tom

The dana 35 is a decent axle but it is not by any means heavy duty. Driving habits will dictate what the dana 35 can handle. The biggest thing is too keep your speed and rpms down. If a tire loses traction and gains lots of speed then hooks up, you axle shaft is going to snap.

Back