• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Nail Salon

Torx! Perfect timing! Are you wanting to sell your 8.8? My pinion bearing went out in my 8.25 and Im lookin to pick up a 8.8 instead of dumping more money into it. Let me know when and how much you are wanting for it!

Nice! I too just got a Rear 60/HP44 setup.. Of course.. I'm "building" them.. Tire size in mind? I'm going 37s

So I noticed in your MOAB Trip report, you mentioned opting to run several obstacles "next year" .... You didn't go in depth with much explanation for this, so I'm curious if it was because of your confidence (or in this case - lack there of) in the Nail Salon, or if it was just cold feet? .....
Also did this trip leave you wanting something more out of the XJ?.... It seemed to have performed well enough for you, but it also seemed like you may have a "want to do/need to do for next time" list now now that your back......
Obviously the new axle set up is going to be amazing, but I cant imagine that your axles were the only thing keeping you from running some of those obstacles.

It was probably the need to drive the jeep 1000 miles back home. I could see being conservative in cases like this, who knows what will break on the harder obstacles.

Awesome photos as always.

I'll be interested to hear what you decide to do for an alternator upgrade. Auto Battery and Electric on SE Hawthorne in Portland is one place I know of that should be able to rework a stock alt for higher output. I haven't used them for that yet, but they were super helpful when I needed a smaller alternator pulley once before. I assume you want something higher output than a V8 ZJ alt which IIRC is about 130 amps? Any plans to relocate it higher up so it doesn't go for a swim next time?

I don't know what you're planning to do with your existing axles after you swap the 44/60 in, but since 90xj called dibs on the 8.8, I might be interested in the D30 depending on what gears & diff are in it, if you'll be wanting to sell it that is...

I'm always so impressed with your skills for such a young man.
Thanks, old timer. ;)

Torx! Perfect timing! Are you wanting to sell your 8.8? Let me know when and how much you are wanting for it!
Bunch of vultures already circling. :D

At this point in time I don't have any plans on selling them considering the time and money I have into them. They're my ideal "stock" axles, and I'd like to think maybe one day I'll pick up another cheap rig to toss them under. Same goes with my current beadlocks. Will probably just hold onto them for awhile.

Looked back through my build last night, and it's trippy to see the old build pictures. I got a lot of work ahead of me with the new ones, but I'm looking forward to starting another project.
P1080075.jpg

Nice! I too just got a Rear 60/HP44 setup.. Of course.. I'm "building" them.. Tire size in mind? I'm going 37s
You know I'm a huge advocate for building everything I can, but in this case it just made sense to buy what I wanted. I'll be redoing a lot of the brackets, and customizing them for my application though. However, already starting with narrowed, geared, locked, and alloyed axles was a big plus.

I go back and forth on my next tire size literally everyday. I enjoy my 33's, but it's time to grow up. 37's would be sweet in the snow, but after talking to people from the other chapters, I might end up going 35's just to have a bulletproof setup. It's still getting driven to and from the trail.

Oh, you guys and your fancy big a$$ axles. I would have no problem using 40's on my 30/35 combo locked cocked and ready to rock!

Meet, El Junky. One of my favorite build threads on NAXJA.

I didn't purchase these axles because I wasn't happy with my current setup. My current 30/8.8 has proven itself to be extremely reliable, and my 33's have done great. What it came down to was I'll be needing tires probably next year, and the choices were either go with another set of 33's or step up. I get bored easily running the same lines, so I really didn't want to stick with 33's again. After JeepForceOne I won't run anything bigger than a 33 on a D30 again. Mostly due to not having the peace of mind on the trail. It works sure, but it isn't ideal in my opinion.

I want to step up tire size, and keep the reliability. This was a no brainer.

So I noticed in your MOAB Trip report, you mentioned opting to run several obstacles "next year" .... You didn't go in depth with much explanation for this, so I'm curious if it was because of your confidence (or in this case - lack there of) in the Nail Salon, or if it was just cold feet? .....
Also did this trip leave you wanting something more out of the XJ?.... It seemed to have performed well enough for you, but it also seemed like you may have a "want to do/need to do for next time" list now now that your back......
Obviously the new axle set up is going to be amazing, but I cant imagine that your axles were the only thing keeping you from running some of those obstacles.
I really only passed on two obstacles, Escalator and Rock Chucker.

I was ready to run Escalator, but we just hadn't perfected the line. It literally comes down to a few inches of margin. Too far one way and you're on your side. Both Issac and Johnny were two wheeling it on their runs, and it took a lot of persistence and patience to find the right line. I think if I saw a clean run I would have been the next one heading up, but I decided to save it for the next time.
IMG_0231.jpg

Rock Chucker, I simply did not have the approach angle. The Nail Salon is only running 4.5" of lift, and when you factor in a winch bumper my approach angle sucks. I could have easily tried, but the rock you need to get up on for the second climb is literally as big as a Jeep. So maneuverability once on top is virtually non existent. We could have stacked rocks and tried, but I didn't have anything to prove.
IMG_0690.jpg

I was never really afraid of breaking anything on the Nail Salon. Rolling yes (and had several close calls... Potato Salad Hill), but actually breaking wasn't a concern. I got a lot of seat time in my rig this year, and I've gotten to know it's limits pretty well. On Tuesday I ran Pritchett Canyon which is a 9 out of 10. Trust me, I ran the Nail Salon through it's paces down there. ;)

My realizations were...
I need a better approach angle for big climbs. My bumper took a lot of hits.
I need to ditch the short arms. They work fine for the PNW, but in big rocks and ledges they tend to walk under the Jeep verses climb the obstacle. I noticed this a lot on the Rubicon as well.
I also need to quit procrastinating and cage this pig up. Safety being the number one reason. I've pushed my luck way too many times.

a 1000 mile drive home with no windshield after a flop is all part of the experience LOL
I always carry goggles with me. The plan is to always drive it home. :D

Awesome photos as always.

I'll be interested to hear what you decide to do for an alternator upgrade. Auto Battery and Electric on SE Hawthorne in Portland is one place I know of that should be able to rework a stock alt for higher output. I haven't used them for that yet, but they were super helpful when I needed a smaller alternator pulley once before. I assume you want something higher output than a V8 ZJ alt which IIRC is about 130 amps? Any plans to relocate it higher up so it doesn't go for a swim next time?

I don't know what you're planning to do with your existing axles after you swap the 44/60 in, but since 90xj called dibs on the 8.8, I might be interested in the D30 depending on what gears & diff are in it, if you'll be wanting to sell it that is...
Thanks, I'll have to look into that place. Since I already have my old OEM alternator I figured it would be easiest to have that rebuilt rather than buying or sourcing a new ZJ one. I don't run a ton of accessories, so I really don't have a big need for big power. Just thought a minor tweak might be nice.

The TORX30 isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I'll definitely let you know if anything changes though.

Last edited:
El junky was a good read, and you do know I was just joking right?

If anyone passed it up go read that tread. For real the guy is using 40's on a 30!

El junky was a good read, and you do know I was just joking right?

If anyone passed it up go read that tread. For real the guy is using 40's on a 30!

Just read thru the whole thing..... simply amazing....and a little bat-shit crazy too, but that thing still wheels! (I'm just waiting for it to break in half.)

....anyways, thanks Dustin for the "realizations" list..... thats just what I was looking for.

Last year when in Moab we had Darel in this position on Escalator. And there is a hole in the passenger side of the soft top because of this attempt. It is one of the more deceiving obstacles to try and spot someone up.

523444_336262973098563_1301269968_n.jpg

Two weeks after getting back from Moab, a few of us headed over to Elbe Hills for the day. It was fun. Photo's courtesy of my codawg for the day, Redjeep2.0

IMG_5546_zpseab0f1e0.jpg

IMG_5715_zpsb03dad90.jpg

IMG_5863_zps377de84a.jpg

IMG_5894_zps67b564ef.jpg

Nail Salon did great. Might have added another story or two to the body. Shitllbuffout.

I've also officially started my box and sticker collection for Phase2.0. Forum Sponsor RuffStuff Specialties was having their "Builders Sale" which meant 25% all builders kits. I took advantage of this, and ordered up some RuffStuff Frame Stiffeners, and a Dana 60 Simple Swap Kit.

I chose to go with the RuffStuff stiffeners because they extend beyond the LCA mount, unlike other companies. Since my plan is to three-link the front, these will be an excellent foundation to build off. I also like how they are bent to extend along the floorboard as well to help spread the load. My frame rails are sadly pretty beaten, so having 3/16 plate underneath is going to be a peace of mind.
EE468FE6-4C7F-4F22-8810-4570026E082E-7985-00000AD56E86DFE6_zps29d5f456.jpg

The Tera 60 I have can literally be bolted in as is. However, I decided to redo the spring perches with some longer ones to help prevent axle wrap. I also am a fan of RuffStuff's 5/8" U-Bolts and 3/8" U-Bolt plates included in the swap kit. I used this same kit for my 8.8 install as well.
A1160D51-2056-4A34-929A-174C0387EE82-7985-00000AD57FDFBE9F_zps50f79fa9.jpg

32C54A4F-07A0-481A-9145-F55A0BC09205-7985-00000AD575B1046A_zps5755ca8e.jpg

I guess I have a reason now to start tearing into the axles.

I also had to make some stands for the axles since they are ruhtardedly heavy to move by one's self. At least now I can pick them up with a motorcycle jack to wheel them around.
0C5204B2-3CBF-4C10-98F3-E6FF16670971-7985-00000AE00A41F119_zps720f0b8f.jpg

In the meantime I'm still tossing around ideas for the next phase, and trying to source parts. I'm hoping a lot of what I need will go on sale during the online Black Friday sales. :fingercrossed:

The Nail Salon's sadly been getting neglected a bit. I haven't wheeled it since Elbe at the end of October (that's almost a month, the longest I've gone all year!), and I haven't really given it a good once over since getting back from Moab.

So my junk almost officially became junk when a front brake line let loose on I5.
285E74D2-2AA7-4265-B6F1-A2E59347DBE2-12433-000010CE78B2BC7A_zps4bc7af39.jpg

I decided it might be time to give everything a good once over before the Thanksgiving Run next weekend.
29C1C4E4-A75C-4749-B466-CA3D18C9239D.jpg

Checked the fluids, checked the suspension bolts, checked the steering bolts, greased the chassis, adjusted the toe, tightened the LCA superflex joints, replaced front brake line, bleed the brakes, adjusted left headlight after I smashed my header panel in Moab, stitch welded one of my frame side LCA mounts on after I found it was trying to escape, and a bunch of other junk.

All in all, nothing too critical was found. Crawling underneath it's apparent that this year was not an easy year for it. However, the Nail Salon is ready for TSF next weekend!

Oh, and I tinkered with my axles for a bit. That's 35 splines of awesomeness.
B68783DF-592B-4741-A991-C612689D9CFC.jpg

I've been pretty busy helping out with the 4500 MJ build lately, and that's likely going to continue up until KOH. I've decided I'm not going to push for Phase2.0 until after KOH in, February.

The Nail Salon flat works the way it is, so there's no real hurry to change anything. Plus this gives me a chance to get a few snow runs in before I tear into it, and some extra time to gather parts.

Back