• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread

My father had terrible luck with Michelins as far as snow traction. They were a decent tire otherwise. I think that was the LTX though?

I've yet to hear of a better tire than a BFG AT personally, at least for on the road driving. 50k+ miles, great wet/dry/snow traction especially for a pickup with no weight in the back (and no posi), and I've never gotten a flat with them on my truck.

The funny thing is, I HATED them for wheeling. Seriously weak tire in that regards. I think I blew up 3 of them doing barely anything difficult.

My father had terrible luck with Michelins as far as snow traction. They were a decent tire otherwise. I think that was the LTX though?

I've yet to hear of a better tire than a BFG AT personally, at least for on the road driving. 50k+ miles, great wet/dry/snow traction especially for a pickup with no weight in the back (and no posi), and I've never gotten a flat with them on my truck.

The funny thing is, I HATED them for wheeling. Seriously weak tire in that regards. I think I blew up 3 of them doing barely anything difficult.

Look up what the XZL looks like, it's meant for concrete mixers and military trucks :jester:

I still have no idea how I killed zero BFG ATs wheeling. It certainly wasn't driver skill or careful driving. I did tear a 3 inch hole in a sidewall accidentally backing up over a 4.0L in my yard but I can't really fault the tire for that. :dunce:

I still have one of them. It's a great engine tire lol

The BFG's on the race truck were great in rain/snow even with it being 2wd

I really liked the Duratracs that I had. Had tons of life left on them when I sold them and I put a good amount of mileage on them myself.

I really liked the Duratracs that I had. Had tons of life left on them when I sold them and I put a good amount of mileage on them myself.

Funny, I HATED the Duratracs. Loudest damn daily tire ever! I rotated the shite out of them and eventually just bought a more road friendly tire. They looked great and all, but I really was surprised at how much I didn't like them.

Mark, have you seen the Walmart exclusive Goodyear Authority? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-Wrangler-Authority-Tire-31X10.50R15-LT/11983156

I've had a few customers come in with them and love them.

I bought these, and although they run on the smaller side, it's quiet, gripped nicely in the snow, and were cheap: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Road+Venture+AT51

Last edited:

Funny, I HATED the Duratracs. Loudest damn daily tire ever! I rotated the shite out of them and eventually just bought a more road friendly tire. They looked great and all, but I really was surprised at how much I didn't like them.

Mark, have you seen the Walmart exclusive Goodyear Authority? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-Wrangler-Authority-Tire-31X10.50R15-LT/11983156

I've had a few customers come in with them and love them.

I bought these, and although they run on the smaller side, it's quiet, gripped nicely in the snow, and were cheap: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Road+Venture+AT51

Really? I didn't find them that loud. Granted, I DD'd Rubi-spec BFG KM1 MT's, Cooper STT's, and MTR-K's in the past.

The KM1's were the worst to DD, but had really good tread life.

Last edited:

dude i think this is the most focused we've been on a topic since...i don't know when lol.

Thread title change is in order

dude i think this is the most focused we've been on a topic since...i don't know when lol.

Thread title change is in order

:laugh:

The folks that used to do that no longer have the powah.

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Tire Thread

duratracs would be great if they didn't make the side walls out of over cooked spaghetti.

I have personally seen 5 blow the side walls. and 2 of them were on stuff that wouldn't have punctured a balloon.

The best wet-weather street tire I've ever had was General Grabber AW, but they were discontinued. I would bet my wallet on a good set of Grabber ATs

I'm currently running Cooper AT3 which are pretty good all-purpose tires, more aggressive off-road than the Grabber AT, still pretty good street performance

Deep snow you need MTs

The best wet-weather street tire I've ever had was General Grabber AW, but they were discontinued. I would bet my wallet on a good set of Grabber ATs

I'm currently running Cooper AT3 which are pretty good all-purpose tires, more aggressive off-road than the Grabber AT, still pretty good street performance

Deep snow you need MTs
Grabber AT's have very poor treadlife

I bought a Saturn today.

...with a 300 HP turbo Ecotec & 5-speed, and soft top. Little fast car bug finally got me again and happened to find one local. :)

Meanwhile my dad just got a 1956 MG-A roadster. Neither of us told the other that we were gonna be buying stuff, he just sent me an email with a bunch of pictures saying look what I just got, and I sent him a return one with "mine's faster". :laugh:

Might pick it up tomorrow or Monday depending on if I can get a certified check on the spot.

I bought a Saturn today.

...with a 300 HP turbo Ecotec & 5-speed, and soft top. Little fast car bug finally got me again and happened to find one local. :)

Meanwhile my dad just got a 1956 MG-A roadster. Neither of us told the other that we were gonna be buying stuff, he just sent me an email with a bunch of pictures saying look what I just got, and I sent him a return one with "mine's faster". :laugh:

Might pick it up tomorrow or Monday depending on if I can get a certified check on the spot.

Interesting purchase. Curious to hear what you think once you have it for a bit.

Brought it home today...made it 5 miles onto the highway with the top down before it ****ing opened up and monsooned on me. It's not so bad if you keep driving, but eventually you start getting spray *inside* the windshield, and then you have to pull over, which makes it suck that much more. I found an overpass and had to figure out how to deploy the top in a hurry, as I never actually did it when I was checking it out at the dealer.

Also found out it has a locking gas cap (remember in NJ we don't pump our gas)...luckily I had the key for it on the dealer ring still. That'll get swapped out for a regular one in short order.

It's ****ing fast, and I've already gotten it sideways on a few entrance ramps. For as small a car as it is, the seating position and hood profile still make it seem like you're looking over & ahead. Seats are comfy and the stereo kicks ass. Jack shit for luggage room with the top down though. Hopefully the weather cooperates tomorrow so I can dry it out and spend some time on the backroads by me learning where all the controls are. I've only driven Mopar junk for the last 12 years so having the wiper controls on this other lever to the right of the steering column is kinda weird.

I've only driven Mopar junk for the last 12 years so having the wiper controls on this other lever to the right of the steering column is kinda weird.

Been a while since you've been in a 97+ XJ I take it....

Back