• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread

no big scott.

sucks about the 9".
Yeah, right now I am getting a quote on how much it would run me to just make the jump to an 8.8 since that option was put on the table.

Cut my losses and sell the 9" for what I paid. Ends up the bearings were bad as was expected and the backlash was a bit off so paid for the install kit to replace bearings and get it re-set up. I guess that after further tear-down the excessive backlash seems to have damaged the pinion and yoke. So it needs new gears and yoke (aka another $200+). So my options are completely re-doing that or starting fresh and starting with a 31 spline 8.8 with disks.

I really just want to get wheeling damnit!!! I am starting to lean towards the 8.8 for now, though I have to hear a quote first. Maybe just keep the 8.8 open and wheel open/open for now :dunno: esp since I am thinking about making the jump to full width 9"/HP44 next year.

So...Does anyone want a whole Jeep?

Hahaha
no, it has the wrong transmission :laugh:

but i'll take the beadlocks :eyes:

8.8 = c clips...

why not just build a rear 60?

Yeah, it's got C clips. But you have to break the shafts before I start caring... and I doubt I'm going to break the shafts.

Also, why are you getting a quote on an 8.8? They're fricken $100 you-pull-it at Sam's, though you'd need to regear obviously if you want anything under 4.10:1.

8.8 = c clips...

why not just build a rear 60?
Oh well, and I am planning a 14b eventually; just need to get plated first.

Yeah, it's got C clips. But you have to break the shafts before I start caring... and I doubt I'm going to break the shafts.

Also, why are you getting a quote on an 8.8? They're fricken $100 you-pull-it at Sam's, though you'd need to regear obviously if you want anything under 4.10:1.
by quote I mean for an 8.8 with 4.88s and a lockrite installed. I know I could pull one myself from the JY, but then I would have to deal with gears and such.

'Cause building a rear D60 is dumb.
Start with a D70 or 14b and be ahead of the game.
see above comment :D Already plan on it but gotta plate the unibody first so I don't kill it the first time I go out driving.

i want to go hooommeeeeeeeee

Agreed. My tests are taking FOREVER to run because I had to add some perl code that runs *every single clock cycle* on the simulation, and I have to simulate with more of the chip enabled instead of those sections being part of the simulation framework so now it's going sloooooooooooooowwwww... tick tick tick

Agreed. My tests are taking FOREVER to run because I had to add some perl code that runs *every single clock cycle* on the simulation, and I have to simulate with more of the chip enabled instead of those sections being part of the simulation framework so now it's going sloooooooooooooowwwww... tick tick tick
that sucks.

On a plus note I now have 4 drives done today... :clap: only 14 to go! Time to start looking into ways to expedite this process a bit...

ugh, this decision sucks. pull the trigger and get the 8.8 or suck it up and keep putting $$ into the 9"... Would probably end up costing about the same in the end.

The 8.8 would be a bit stronger all together and it would have 31 spline shafts rather than the 28 splines in the 9" and the 8.8 shafts would be easier to find in a JY for spares.. If I did the 8.8 I could then sell the 9" and get some of the $$ back.. The only down side to the 8.8 I can see is the C-clips.

just cut the splined portions of the shafts off and booger weld them to some 31 spline shafts :looser:

If you stick with the 9" Scott and decide to replace the shafts, go to 35 spline with a new Detroit. Then down the line build a beefier housing and swap it over.

I thought I wouldn't be able to swap over the 3rd later on since I would probably build a big bearing 9" when I go full width (if I even build a 9" at all... I may skip that and go to tons). I thought the 3rd wouldnt swap between large and small bearing housings. :dunno:

Anyway; I am still thinking it over. If I could sell the 9" for $300 and just get back what I paid that wouldn't be bad... Then again I am just trying to gauge the strength of an 8.8 with 31 spline shaft vs the 9" with alloy 28 spline shafts.

I would say to just go with 35 spline shafts and a new detroit now, but idk how much I could sell the current detroit for and I cant afford to go TOO deep in the hole at this moment in time.

Back