• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The JD is parked in the barn. Time to play with da CAT

sick, inboarded springs rock. If you got alloys in that 44 should be enough strength wise. 60 rear shafts are smaller than 44 fronts.

ok i been away soo long who the heck is scrappy? i'm lost

YELLAHEEP said:
Farmer, Scrappy....

I'm curious as to what led you to cut off the back half after chopping everything else away? (referencing the first "before" picture) Looks like it would have made a bit less work leaving the stock platform and using the original leaf spring locations rather than having to create new ones when you did the tube work. Did you do this to locate the leafs further inboard than the stock location? Is the new tube framework in the rear higher than the original XJ rear section was?

I think the rig is awesome! You guys did a helluva job! :thumbup:

Troy, We cut it off because we inboarded the springs. We "frenched" them into the framerail. The jeep was a rollover. Upon close inspection the rear floor area was tweaked and the OEM leaf spring mounts were not the same. It would have taken much more tim e to repair the damaged area. Something we dicovered along the way was that by inboarding the springs we had no room for the gas tank to hang in its original position. In our first design, we wanted to keep the tank and the box low. But after the fact, we ended up haveing to raise the tank about 8"s Luckly we were able to even use the stock skid plate!

The new tube work is MUCH higher than the original. I would guess close to 6"s higher. It works out best like this because we have so much room under there for links, and exhaust.

IMO i think the tube back end worked out the cleanest and most stucturally strongest. Because of the high speed desert racing/jumping that the jeep will be put through, we doubled the uniframe. The back framerails are tied directly to the radius arm/tranny mounts by another "frame rail" over the floor and under the seat. worked real slick.

Here is a picture of the double frame rail i am talking about.
10000664lt.jpg

Matt

edit: 33 spline currie shafts in the back. And Me? uh... been around here for 4 years now? lol what you want to know? Punk ass kid who tries to build stuff.

Majo said:
sick, inboarded springs rock. If you got alloys in that 44 should be enough strength wise. 60 rear shafts are smaller than 44 fronts.

ok i been away soo long who the heck is scrappy? i'm lost
what are you talking about!? rear 60 shafts are typically 30 spline 1.31" diameter, same as D44, but full-floating.

That's unbelievably cool. It's fabulous, it's awesome. And what makes it just that great is the Caterpillar scheme. I'm a Jeep and a Cat fan. I can't wait to see the write-up and centerfold spread in JP or Four Wheeler.

Here are a couple of it in action today on aftershock. Some of the guys going to best of the west stopped in Jv for a warm up run.
i26529904

another
i26529997

are group of xj's(well sorta xj's)
i26530144

It loks like Paul is taking a leak but really fixing his light.

Last edited:
BrettM said:
what are you talking about!? rear 60 shafts are typically 30 spline 1.31" diameter, same as D44, but full-floating.

FRONT 44 shafts from the HD chevy 44 my roommate HeepJeeps on PBB my roommate had are bigger than the rear 60 shafts he had laying around.

Back