• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The JD is parked in the barn. Time to play with da CAT

Got any pics of the underside?

Why did you keep leafs in the rear? Simplicity or did you not want to go too extreme? :D

BTW: It looks really sweet!

AARON

Absolutely awesome work..... WOW!!!

BTW..... I noticed the plate on the back. Is it street legal? Gawd, how much fun would that be, tooling around town in that sweet rig :viking:

Last edited:
FarmerMatt said:
Front End
78 Ford High pinion front narrowed 6". Lengthend radius arms, ARB Locker, 5.38 gears, Warn shafts, Longfeild joints, Stazworks beadlocks with 37x17 MTR tires.

Any pics of the radius arms and how you attached them?
Inquiring minds would like to know...

Thanks

So,, I just showed this thread to my 15 year old, he said Dad,,,, can I do that to my Jeep!

Matt, that is friggen SWEET!

Street legality is a relative term... It is registered, tagged, & smog legal. I've got some big mud flaps to cover the rear, but the head lights aren't kosher. All in all I think I've got enough to maybe keep the fuzz at bay.

I kept the leaves in the rear for simplicity. It took so much time to get this far with it that adding the engineering to do a proper rear 4 link would have added another month to the build. I did build in upper control arm mounts into the tube work behind the rear seats to put links in later. The other problem is that a rear 4 link would have added another couple grand to the build cost. I dump enough money into it already. The jeep came to me pretty setup with the rear end, atlas, ORGS lift & so on. I tried to reuse most of the parts that came with it.

I'll get some under pics & post them when I get a chance, but my long arms have better ground clearance than Goatmans short dinky arms...

Matt

I think you might have taken it a bit too far.......

I liked it best in the 1st pic (post saws-all), that version has charisma!!

All kidding aside, that thing is awesome!! Great job!

FarmerMatt said:
I kept the leaves in the rear for simplicity. It took so much time to get this far with it that adding the engineering to do a proper rear 4 link would have added another month to the build. ... The other problem is that a rear 4 link would have added another couple grand to the build cost. I dump enough money into it already.

wait, so you're saying leafs are good for simplicity, ease, and cost? But what about the terrible axle wrap? what about the terrible ride quality? your spine will hate you. leaf springs are for covered wagons. Where's Goatman, Jes, CRASH, etc when you need them :laugh3:

wait... is it possible that the very same logic applies to the front too? ;)

Brett "4 leafs" M

BrettM said:
wait, so you're saying leafs are good for simplicity, ease, and cost? But what about the terrible axle wrap? what about the terrible ride quality? your spine will hate you. leaf springs are for covered wagons. Where's Goatman, Jes, CRASH, etc when you need them :laugh3:

Brett "4 leafs" M

LOL

Now the fight starts :D Whos got the popcorn?

AARON

further proof of an excess of very creative brain cells floating around in your head.

Nice design, nice proportions, nice execution.

It just looks right. Not the first XJ to end up as a buggy, but likely the one that will start a serious trend. You've shown the XJ to be an excellent foundation for a 4-seater buggy.

BrettM said:

Brett "4 leafs" M
Brett... 3 words, get over yourself.:laugh3: I used leafs because I had them & couldn't afford the money or time to UPGRADE. the key word here is upgrade. You took a modern well engineered front coil 4 link front suspension & axed it for an outdated 19th century design & now you're trying to justify it to the world? :rattle:Just admit it when you're wrong. The buggy will probably be linked up by next winter just to spite you.:wave:

MaXJohnson said:
further proof of an excess of very creative brain cells floating around in your head.

Nice design, nice proportions, nice execution.

It just looks right. Not the first XJ to end up as a buggy, but likely the one that will start a serious trend. You've shown the XJ to be an excellent foundation for a 4-seater buggy.

Jeni says it comes from an extremely warped sense of reality, but I like your version better. Much more poetic. Thanks for the comps.

Matt

FarmerMatt said:
You took a modern well engineered front coil 4 link front suspension & axed it for an outdated 19th century design & now you're trying to justify it to the world?

you guys are way too easy to mess with :kissyou:

the damn problem is that "modern well engineered front coil 4 link" was engineered for 28" tires, no lift and a crappy axle. My truck's ability exceeds the goals I had in the build, and at very reasonable cost, so I am very pleased with my decisions.

It only gives me greater respect for custom link setups like URFs and Goatman's, but I can still have fun and camp next to Buck or Spider with the best of 'em. :cheers:

Your rig is far superior to mine
is that what you were looking for? maybe i wasn't clear enough in my first post. GOOD WORK.

Back