• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Gosh-Darned Police

My info might be outdated (I have had a license for a long time ;) ).

it used to be that both moving violations and equipment tickets would show up on your record. And insurance companies (at least mine at the time) would review them everyonce in a while and they were worth "points" just like moving violations. They were worth less "points" but were still worth points.

If I remember correctly the bigger difference was that "equipment" tickets only were on your record for 3yrs I believe, and moving violations were 5years maybe?

If someone can correct me, I would appreciate it, but this was my experience when I was younger and more prone to tickets :D

Michael

I know in the state of oregon violations stay on your record either 35 or 37 months, for some reason I can't remember if its under 3 years or just over.

Equipment violations as far as I know do not go on your record as far as insurance is concerned. Its been a few years since Ihave gotten one (knowck on word, fingers crossed) but I don't rememer my insurance being higher in high school with my equipment violations, I know my speeding etc. killed me, but I don't remember fix-it tickets affecting my insurance premiums.

It also depends on the state whether they use a point system vs a violation system, as well as the insurance company you are with whether they surcharge for violations or not, I am with a high risk company being 22 with a speeding ticket, and they are the cheapest rate I have been able to find as they do not surcharge you for your first ticket, the "forgive" the first speeding ticket unlike farmers, state farm or other standard insurance companies.

I am fairly up to date on insurance issues, as both my parents have been in insurance for 30+ years if you habe a question in Oregon let me know I can generally get an answer for you, washington I am not up to date with auto insurance unfortunately.

Last edited:
Back