• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Frog Blog

I have had my 33x12.5 MT/Rs with Kevlar for a year now. I love them, especially if you drive the highway and don't trailer your junk. They are a little stiff so I run them a lot lower psi then any other tire I've wheeled but they are great all around and decently quiet for a off road tire. They were fine in the snow up at Tahoe, great at Moab, in the sand and on the rocks and great all around. Not the best mud tire but I'd buy them again in a heart beat.

that bar in the desert looks totally awesome!

so what is that place exactly? some dudes bar in the middle of the desert?

Dont go back to a tire that seems to be more susceptible to side wall slices. That just does not make sense.

you beat me to this statement.
as far as i have seen km2's are junk.
i have seen a few get sliced open, but have never seen a kevlar goodyear sliced.
i run mt mtz's on my green rig & would not buy them again.
i will put pitbull rockers on it next.
but it is not my dd.
for a dd i would only look at the kevlars.

I still like my km2's, but the Kevlars are pretty sweet. They look mean.

i think the tread pattern looks ghey, but they seem to be nearly bulletproof (kevlar, get it?) compared to the thin km2 sidewalls.

im not 100% on the thread count on my pro comp xtreme terrains but its equal or greater than the MTRs, probably not Kevlar though, but the things have taken a beating over the last 3-4 years. on 2 occassions i have bent the rim off the tire so that we lose all the air in the thing and have to sledge hammer the rim back in place to hold a bead. never once ripped a sidewall doing that. still driving on same tires and same rims.

The really short list...

images.ashx

I'll stick with my KM2's, I refuse to run goodyear garbage. My KM2's have been through rocks and trails with roots sticking out of everywhere. I bought mine used, and have put 20k on them. They are still at half tread.

Pro comp tires are a 3 ply sidewall - polyester
mtr-k 3 ply - 2 polyester 1 kevlar

i meant like i think BFG is a 800 thread count per inch or something and the pro comps and MTRs are all like 1200-1600.

I haven't done much with my XJ since I left NorCal but now that I'm getting back into wheeling, things are breaking at an annoying rate. In addition to tire, shock, and clockspring troubles, among other things, I have an intake leak again. I really never got my APN to fit well with my stock intake manifold due to contact with the #6 tube, and that is after removing an uncomfortable amount of material from the aluminum intake manifold. Also, after my previous pain with dealing with my APN header and down pipe, and having some trouble at the smog station (due again soon), I am thinking of either going back to stock or using the Banks Revolver header or something similar.

36419-lg.jpg

spacer.gif

4883385_6788.jpg

Also, there are about as many threads in favor of Banks, Gibson, Borla, or Pacesetter headers as there are against them, so I'd love to hear if anyone who frequents this thread uses the Banks Revolver header (1999 model here) and what they have to say about cracking, or smog check issues in the Nazi state of Kalifornyuh.

I'm also thinking that without other engine or exhaust tube mods, I won't really benefit from a performance header and could do well enough with a stock OE replacement. Searching here reveals too many old links and comments and I'm just danged lazy tonight.

Last edited:
Can't say much other than my last Cherokee was a '99 and I put a Banks header on it and loved what it did for the performance with my K&N intake. I only had it a year before we left for India so I don't know about how they worked in the long run. I did do a lot of research and thought that Banks was the best at the time, 2005. SMOG then was no trouble.
Do it again? Yes but with a CA Cowl intake as my right foot liked the sound the K&N made too much.

Well, My jeep needs a little work after the weekend.....had an encounter with a tree.....:doh:
2012-12-01_14-42-35_153.jpg

The tire carrier saved my ass. The unibody is still straight.

Been there done that. TWICE. I'll never have a spare tire swing out.

Well, My jeep needs a little work after the weekend.....had an encounter with a tree.....:doh:
2012-12-01_14-42-35_153.jpg

The tire carrier saved my ass. The unibody is still straight.

Back