• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Frog Blog

I just tried, unsuccessfully, to remove the 3/16th countersunk screws from my Ruff Stuff Specialties diff cover. Broke two bits before I decided to call it a night. I think the next set of diff covers will not have the countersunk bolts. They look great but I've gone through more bits than I care to remember.

I like to eat dark chocolate M&Ms. I take my time and split the shell with my teeth, then let the chocolate slowly melt in my mouth. I then take pleasure in crunching the hard candy shell and reducing it to small, sharp fragments of candied goodness. I do this over and over until my tongue bleeds.

I just tried, unsuccessfully, to remove the 3/16th countersunk screws from my Ruff Stuff Specialties diff cover. Broke two bits before I decided to call it a night. I think the next set of diff covers will not have the countersunk bolts. They look great but I've gone through more bits than I care to remember.

Were they tough to get lined up when they were installed? What's going on here that is causing them to seize up? Just asking since I'm getting ready to install mine pretty soon. Aside from a clean look, the countersunk bolts also help keep your housings from flexing when the carrier/locker is under load. They are functional as well.

I may have used a tad too much thread locker on a few of the bolts. Torquing them to 35 ft lbs is recommended and I've broken bits while tightening, and removing those bolts. I may just go with 30 ft lbs in the future to prevent stressing the bits.

My kid posted Old Blue on Craig's List last night and found a buy within 20 minutes, as well as a host of backups with cash in hand. If all works out as planned, our first XJ will be driving away at 1:00 pm Friday. I'm going to miss it. Such a good Jeep.

Yea tell him he can't have it unless he signs up on here. I see so many nice XJs driving around with owners that don't know about NAXJA. It's just disappointing

By the way, I think I missed it, why are you selling Old Blue?

Yea tell him he can't have it unless he signs up on here. I see so many nice XJs driving around with owners that don't know about NAXJA. It's just disappointing

By the way, I think I missed it, why are you selling Old Blue?

The kid and I built up Old Blue over the past 4 years to be a moderate trail rig. I gave it to him as a grad gift last year. Since then, I built up the Frog, higher and better than his Jeep.

The kid (100K XJ) wanted to go with a 4.5" lift and 32's, and found exactly what he wanted on this forum from a great guy and NAXJA supporter in San Jose (Illustrated XJ). He decided to part ways with Old Blue for economical reasons. Neither of us want to see it go, but buying the built Jeep he found on this forum was the best option, all things considered.

The new owner is coming from SoCal, so I don't expect to see it around the Sierra Chapter after today. I'd prefer to have kept it local but my kid wanted to be loyal to the first caller. The buyer is getting a fantasic vehicle for the price.

And a follower of the Frog Blog. :D

Hey, cool. Glad you posted and I'm honored that you are a follower of the FB. Everytime I see that green machine in the driveway when I get home, I'm proud to park next to it. I still have him beat by two inches, but your old XJ looks great and is modded to near perfection.

By the way, the kid fixed the rear wiper switch with a little ingenuity. I think the rear main seal will be the next item to repair, then on to the D30 output shaft seal. Ugh.

Old Blue is officially gone and heading for an unknown future in Bakersfield, California. :(

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Goodbye, girl.

Last edited:
I'm realizing I'm not on here regularly enough...watching Old Blue just drive off without me was the hardest part :'( It's time for more great memories and trips in the Green Machine! :)
(I need a good profile pic)

The green machine has some impressive specs!

Make a build of you own! I just made one. (A humboldt cherokee blog)

Starting a thread now...I'll call it My Green Machine Blog

Back