• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Frog Blog

It would be nice to have an off-center rear tire carrier.
You would be surprised how much rearward view they block.
Throw the '33 in the back with some straps until then.

Hey, Jim. We missed you at the club meeting last night. You almost got voted President.

I'll have to put the spare on the rack until I get the rear tire swing. I've got a little kid in the back seat and I cannot fit the spare back there without folding down the seat.

I cannot fit the spare back there without folding down the seat.

I got a 33 to fit in the back but it was tight, although mine only has like 25% tread. I just had to shove it as far left as i could to clear the center hatch lock.

I still suggest the tailbone. It only took one trip to the snow with my wife, daughter and dogs before my wife suggested I get one after she realized how cramped it gets. I told her she should go when the camping gear is loaded as well.

getting the spare out of there is going to free up a ton of space.

Josh

I think that's a good choice.

I like my bumper, but the back bone was my first choice.

However I'm a perfectionist, and you can't order it with the tire in the center. (I like things to be symmetrical!)

I will get the Tailbone...in time. I'd like to have it before the Sierra Fest, but I may be too late already. We'll see.

On a related note, I am shopping around for my 33x10x50x15 BFG KM2 spare tire and discovered they are on a nationwide back order and are not expected to be available until June. Great. That's what I get for not buying all 5 at once.

Spare tire search continues. I'll settle for a used 33X10.50X15 until the new BFG KM2's are ready...

Big O...nope.

Les Schwab...nada.

SummitRacing...not in stock.

I needs me a spare.

Have an air compressor?
Air down the '33, it will fit.

I tried airing down a 31" BFG on my first XJ in an attempt to install it on the left side where the factory donut sits. No luck. Airing down had little affect on the diameter. I may try airing down the 33" BFG KM2, but with those beefy knobs of rubberized man meat, I doubt it will do any good. Worth a try, though.

Here's today's pursuit of fine parts.

33549-md.jpg

The 3" Chrysler 8.25 pinion yoke has been on my do list for a while now, and now that I am ready to buy, I am having a hard time finding yoke and u-bolts as a set. I'm sure I've seen the set on NAXJA in months past.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product-information.asp?number=52068839#details has the yoke for 59.99, plus shipping.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52425_10.htm has the yoke for 49.99 plus a tad more shipping. Where are the dang u-bolts?

Here is a good page comparing U-joints for size, application, and strength. http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/summer2008/ujoints.htm

Last edited:
Or check out the Vendor Advertisments.. They just posted the Yoke with U-Bolts for 120$ plus shipping of course..

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1033140

Yup, that's what I wanted. Seems a bit high for the nut and u-bolts considering I found the yoke for about $70-75 after shipping, but I appreciate the link.

Edit: Jeff quoted me a shipped price of $132 for the u-bolt style pinion yoke. The yoke I posted earlier is the strap type (cheaper??).

Last edited:
Spare tire search continues. I'll settle for a used 33X10.50X15 until the new BFG KM2's are ready...

Big O...nope.

Les Schwab...nada.

SummitRacing...not in stock.

I needs me a spare.

If I may follow up on an earlier quote from myself, I have a spare tire arriving to me from Arizona through my local Roseville America's Tire store. Yippee!

I have discovered through calling everyone in town that those BFG 33X10.50X15 M/T KM2's are on national backorder and won't be available for a few months...or so I'm told. Thankfully, America's Tire has a larger inventory than most and they are kindly sending me a tire from Arizona. That is, unless the tire is made in Mexico, then it might be shipped back over the border.

Look, My Jeep and the frog have something in common now! :D

Frontbumper.jpg

Back