• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The DD/Money Pit

Minagera

NAXJA Forum User
Haven't really introduced myself here, but I might as well. I have a 97 Cherokee with a 4.6 stoker in it I built. Right now it is stock ride height with 31" Pro-Comps. I/We had a slight set back with it on 10-03-09 when I rear-ended a State Farm Van.

SNV31012.JPG

SNV31013.JPG

SNV31014.JPG

PA100502.JPG

PA100506.JPG

PA100503.JPG

Now with some help of some Chains, a couple Tree's, and a friends help, Dave, I managed to get it pulled out pretty well.

PA240515.JPG

PA240512.JPG

PA240518.JPG

PA240516.JPG

I need to do a couple more things, like get the drivers door hinge fixed, and build/modify some steel into a front bumper. This should be a good project when I get finished.

Now, I just need to get some paint on the sucker, and maybe think about putting the lift and fender flares on.

Well sitting at FOB Lindsey in Afghanistan, however I will be trying to amass some parts and knowledge while I am away.

I have plans for my jeep which include it being weekend warrior/off-road only type vehicle. While it will still be street legal by most standards, I going to try hard to build it strong.

Regards,

Matt

Welcome to the addiction...

Mark

When will you be back stateside? Keep safe!

The damage to the Jeep doesn't look too bad but straightening sheet metal is no fun, well for me it's not anyway.

Welcome to the addiction...

Mark

Indeed.

Throwing a LOT of ideas around about what I want to do, and what is feasible, and what I will actually use...

Not sure which would be best and what is the best way to go about getting done, but that is why I am going to lurk and gain as much info as possible.

When will you be back stateside? Keep safe!

The damage to the Jeep doesn't look too bad but straightening sheet metal is no fun, well for me it's not anyway.

Currently the jeep is all put back together.

PC120550.JPG

PC120554.JPG

I am thinking a decent winch bumper, rock rails, uni strengthening, and tube doors. That is a start, but I might going for a bigger lift, 6.5", possible 4 link rear, super 8.8, and maybe do something interesting with an M112 supercharger I have sitting in the garage.

Alll speculations right now...

I do know it needs a free flowing exhaust, and I want to put megasquirt on it.

Nice!!

nice repair job bro! i had to the same thing to my wyfes '00 i was in the sand box a coupla yrs ago and i was also XJ dreaming lol

stay safe man

nice repair job bro! i had to the same thing to my wyfes '00 i was in the sand box a coupla yrs ago and i was also XJ dreaming lol

stay safe man

Thanks Timmy,

I am going to do my best to keep my head down. Honestly this should be too bad here. I will keep stuff updated.

Deployments are great for XJs. Last time I went I had $3000 worth of parts I ordered waiting patiently when I got home! Stay safe!

Ha I wouldn't say it is good, but it will help the XJ out a bit.

Just a quick update, I found an 88 Cherokee on craigslist in Huntsville for $500 with a blown engine. It looks like all the panels are straight, it has the dual headlights, and should have the D44 :) Might get it for a second project.

-Matt

it good to see you red ... NAXJA

Oh yes, a little silly not to be...

Anyway, been doing a little bit of research over my amazingly slow internet connection here. I have a small list of things I know I want/need for the jeep.

- Tom Woods SYE and DS
- Tarsus 2 Speed Electric fan with extra 10" fan to replace broken factory.
- JCR Gas Tank Skid
- JCR Xfer Skid
- JCR Taillight Housings
- JCR Rear Nut Strips (that always makes me giggle)
- JCR 3 Bolt Box Steering Spacer

Now comes the hard part for me. I have a new Detriot locker for the 8.25 29 spline. I could get he superior shafts and build a fairly strong 8.25 and slap the 4.5" Rustys lift on the 97. Or if I get the 88 I could slap all that in there, and get a ford 8.8; do a Super 88 kit, and get a 6.5" long arm from someone for the 97. This begs the question who? RE (5.5" LA)? Clayton (6.5" LA)? Rusty (6.5" LA)?

I really just don't know right now. Ideally I want to run a 33" tire on the 97, so a built 8.25 should take the abuse...

Thoughts and questions...

I'd go with the TNT long arm kit. I guess I'm biased. Is super strong and the t-case skid comes as part of the kit.
As for the axle, If 33's are as big as your gonna go, the 8.25 should be fine. If you're even thinking of maybe one day possibly going to 35's, go with the 8.8.

Just my .02.

I'd go with the TNT long arm kit. I guess I'm biased. Is super strong and the t-case skid comes as part of the kit.
As for the axle, If 33's are as big as your gonna go, the 8.25 should be fine. If you're even thinking of maybe one day possibly going to 35's, go with the 8.8.

Just my .02.

Hey Mark .. I never saw any pictures of this TNT Lift you got!
Wheres the photo link at??

mark

Just my .02.

I have read some mixed things about the TNT, not that I really know any better right now, but I am going to read up on it more of course. It isn't like time is a factor to me right now.

What it sounds like is I will try for the 88 Cherokee and if it doesn't have the D44 and has the D35, I will swap the 8.25 29spline under with locked with 33's and the 4.5" lift. Might do nicely.

Sounds like a good plan.

On the TNT kit they have changed the cross-member/t-case skid configuration. It used to be 1 single unit but now it is a 2-piece unit. The t-case skid can be removed without dropping the whole x-member now. Much better IMHO.

Sounds like a good plan.

On the TNT kit they have changed the cross-member/t-case skid configuration. It used to be 1 single unit but now it is a 2-piece unit. The t-case skid can be removed without dropping the whole x-member now. Much better IMHO.

Thanks Mark, I will look into that.

:thumbup:

Back