• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thanks for all the help and advice. XJ no more.

winterbeater

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ almost killed me about a month ago when the brakes totally failed. Both circuits burst thru rusty lines at the same time. I was doing about 40mph down a busy street and a gasoline tanker was pulling in front of me to get into a gas station to unload. Luckily, he saw me and stopped halfway into my lane. I jumped the curb with my right wheels and got around him. Almost crapped my pants.

So, my 2000 still had the dreaded head crack which I had been managing carefully even though I had an old '98 head to replace it with. All the brake lines needed replacing, and the floor was starting to rust through. Time to say good-bye.

Put it on craigslist for $1,000, needing to be towed home. I instantly had at least 8 buyers practically begging for it. So..........it's gone.

This is the best automotive forum that I have ever been on. Thanks for all the great advice from the regulars who are obviously knowledgeable experts.

Parting word of advice.....test your brakes in your driveway by pushing as hard as you can on them, just like the worst panic stop you can imagine. Try to break it while you don't need it. It may save your life. That failure could have cost me (and others) our lives.

Carry on. Best wishes to all.

Last edited:
Great advice on giving a panic stop pressure test before you need it!

I will now make that a habit of mine after I work on any portion of the brake system and also once in a while just for good practices too.

W-

I've enjoyed your insightful posts and the humorous ones as well-- I'm sorry to see you go, but you don't have to be a stranger. Feel free to stop in and say "hi" every now and then... who knows, you might just find yourself in an XJ again someday!!

Back