• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Texas Members?

purl said:
JnJ, would you be willing to lend us some of your past experience and knowledge and help us get this off the ground?

Curt
Sure,
Number 1) Don't rush into it. That was one of the problems we had last time. Get together and wheel/wrench/eat/drink (soda pop if ya want) and really get to know each other. You need to build a solid core group. There will be many people saying they will help, but when it comes time to put up, only about half really will. You need about 14 - 18 solid members welling to particapate. You will need at least a 3 person BOD.
2) To wheel in Texas you have to travel, unless your lucky enough to live close to one of the few decent places. So, those core individuals are the ones welling to travel to wheeling locations. Some will think their local wheeling is good and will want everyone to travel to them. This will get old. For the chapter to survive past the initial stage where every one is excited, you have to remain active.
3) Learn the by-laws. They not only govern NAXJA, but they will also govern the chapter. Unless you go through the trouble of writting your own and getting them approved by the National BOD.

Ramsey said:
barnwell is in gilmer texas, its an offroad park. http://www.texasmotorizedtrails.com/ohvareas/barnwell/ good mix of trails

Yes, I think that's a great idea. It's about 400mi for me though, so I have to get my lose steering fixed first in the Jeep. I don't know when exactly I can make it in the near future. We're closing on a house Friday and moving Saturday/Sunday. So, I'll be booked for the next few weeks. But possibly some time in mid-June? Anybody else care to make the trip?

Curt

long trip but if your up for it lets do it. the last weekend in june is no good for me.

I wouldn't drive 400 miles for Gilmer, NO WAY! But that's me.

BTW Texas is the second biggest state.

I think Texas would need to be divide up into more than one chapter. If there was a group in the major cities that might work for each but not the whole state. It would end up like the MWC and just be a internet thing, no real wheeling!!!!!!!!! :D :D

hinkley

I'd be interested in some type of Texas Chapter. I was about to go Midwest since I'm a mile from the OK border. I'm one of those who is tied up with other clubs and could not make the effort to be on a BOD. In north Texas we have TORC 4x4 and Decatur 4x4 that I'm part of and wheel with monthly.

I haven't been to Gilmer yet (4hrs away) but I heard it was decent.

Ramsey said:
calm down, unless i'm missing sarcasm(doesnt convey well through typing) wasnt meaning to be scornful. enough of this though. so whos up for a meet and greet

sorry, maybe I'll try a different color for sarcasm...but anyway, yes I am interested and yes my nick should turn red as soon as the app is processed.
:paperwork

Mark Hinkley said:
I wouldn't drive 400 miles for Gilmer, NO WAY! But that's me.

BTW Texas is the second biggest state.

I think Texas would need to be divide up into more than one chapter. If there was a group in the major cities that might work for each but not the whole state. It would end up like the MWC and just be a internet thing, no real wheeling!!!!!!!!! :D :D

hinkley

So, you wouldn't drive to gilmer to meet w/us? And yes, I know it's the 2nd largest state (note the screw alaska comment).

Curt

The biggest hurdles we had were the distances needed to travel by the members to go wheeleing and visiting. A 4 hour drive is normal in this State. (Actually kind of a short drive.) With that kind of travel time. Short day trips are out of the question. It was hard for a lot of people to dedicate an entire weekend to a trip. Also, the membership was spread out. I was living in Austin at the time and the closest other member was JnJ in San Antonio, a 2 hour drive away. We had a meet and greet at his house, but after he tried to poison us with his BBQ, we never went back. I now live in Lubbock. I don't know who the closest member is now.

Ralph said:
The biggest hurdles we had were the distances needed to travel by the members to go wheeleing and visiting. A 4 hour drive is normal in this State. (Actually kind of a short drive.) With that kind of travel time. Short day trips are out of the question. It was hard for a lot of people to dedicate an entire weekend to a trip. Also, the membership was spread out. I was living in Austin at the time and the closest other member was JnJ in San Antonio, a 2 hour drive away. We had a meet and greet at his house, but after he tried to poison us with his BBQ, we never went back. I now live in Lubbock. I don't know who the closest member is now.
It would have worked too, if you guys hadn't drank all that beer to kill the pathogens!

purl said:
So, you wouldn't drive to gilmer to meet w/us? And yes, I know it's the 2nd largest state (note the screw alaska comment).

Curt

I would drive there but I only have to drive a 100 miles together. :D

hinkley

Ralph said:

So you sayin' individual chapters is the way to go? Like and SA chapter?

Curt

purl said:
So you sayin' individual chapters is the way to go? Like and SA chapter?

Curt
Possibly. It would depend on the amount of interest. Multiple chapters would require multiple BOD's. To be a BOD requires work. Most folks are up to the fun part, but balk at the work part.

I'd say wheel and wrench with the folks in your area. If y'all have enough interest and membership in your area to form a sub chapter, go for it. But, the key is getting enough folks involved.

Agreed. Slow and steady wins the race. Let's keep this thread alive and see what happens. Wuttaya say?

Curt

sounds good, need more than just a thread to make something happen. good starting point though. if i only knew the second step...

JnJ said:
Sure,
Number 1) 2) To wheel in Texas you have to travel

To do anything in Texas you have to travel :laugh3: :laugh3:

That's what puts 23,000 miles per year on my Jeep! :rattle:

I'd have to bring the boys. The only way the wife will let me go anywhere is if I empty the house of all male infuence. Anyway, the rig is only stock 2WD, and unlocked, at that. :rattle: :rattle:

Let's everyone keep this thread in mind and try to keep it near the top of the forum. I can't make any commitments past COB today, let alone June but I like the idea. I'd certainly be one who would be travelling to wheel. There's nothing here but sand, mire and clay. I know some like mud, but I have to deal with it everyday I'm in the woods.

Keep the discussion alive and something is bound to happen, sooner or later.

'most forgot: Huntsville. 60 miles north of Houston

Back