• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temp guage not reading right..

Re: Temp gauge not reading right..

Just an update. This past weekend I finally got around to replacing the sender and my temp readings are back to a normal 210 deg or below. I got the sender strait from the dealer for about $23.

I know my 2k had a similar problem. I replaced the coolant temp sensor that is on the thermostat housing and it appears to have fixed the problem.

Ok ... I thought I'd update you on my fix. I bought a new temp gauge from a dealership that sells parts online: http://allchryslerparts.com/. About $23.00 as the guy above said. My local stealership wanted more than $50.00 for the exact same part #!!! Just goes to show, it pays to shop around at different dealerships.

Anyway, I installed the dealership part, and it now works perfectly. I think before, I had a Niehoff part, which gave me the incorrect high readings.

And on a side note ... the new sender showed me that in cold weather I was having a problem of temp going up, then down too much, then up, then down. Turns out my 3-row radiator was TOO good. Coolant was coming into the motor too cold, triggering the opening and closing cycles in the t-stat. I put a piece of cardboard over the grill and that solved that problem. Also, my fan clutch might need replacing, which probably would help too.

I had similar problems with my oil sending unit. Turned out to be just a little oxidation on the pins in the connector. Interestingly, the dealer only wanted about $18 for an OEM one. Advance wanted $65 for theirs! But they wanted to know whether it was a one pin or two pin. When I pulled the plug to check, I discovered the problem. Cleaned the pins up, and voila! But that price thing, just goes to show you have got to shop prices. Sometimes the dealer is best, other times not. Weird, eh? Also, sometimes what the parts stores have ain't right, even though they say it is. More weirdness.

Ok ... I just re-read my last post, and here's a correction: I replaced the SENDING UNIT, not the gauge.

My problem started when I did a gauge cluster swap on my '91 4.0. Put in new temp and oil senders. Everything worked beautifully except the temp gauge kept reading too high. The first temp sender I bought was a Niehoff. That's the one that gave the incorrect readings. The dealership temp sender fixed the problem.

Back