• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tell me about Rusty Nail

I finally got my money's worth out of my winch!

I ran Rusty Nail with some friends over Labor Day weekend. Only 4 Jeeps in our group, it took us about 5 hours to run that, go out to the crack and get back to the highway. The trail itself was a whole 4.9 miles, according to my GPS.

That first ledge required a LOT of rock stacking to get a 33 up, it is really undercut.

standard.jpg

Here is the second obstacle that has apparently deteriorated over the years:
standard.jpg

I had to winch up that one. The 2 guys that were locked f&r were able to drive it. One other guy with a single locker and I found a nicely positioned old juniper tree to winch ourselves up with. Supposedly the left side of that ledge, where the white scrapes are, used to have a dirt ramp up to the first ledge and it was the easy line. The only trail "beakage" we had was a Rubicon that wrapped it's front locker airline up in the driveshaft on the Golden Crack. The owner made a trail repair involving a ball point pen and was able to drive it out under its own power. ;)

Back