• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tell me about power lock actuators...

ZmOz

NAXJA Forum User
I've been thinking lately of different ways to get a high idle. I know there is a wire in the ECM that I can hook up to for this, but that only gives you around 1000RPMs. Something like 1200-1500 would be much better. Might it be possible to use a power lock actuator for this, to move the throttle for you?

Can somebody explain to me exactly how they work? How long of a stroke do they have? When you give it power, does it move up, or down, and then stay that way when you remove power?

ZmOz said:
I've been thinking lately of different ways to get a high idle. I know there is a wire in the ECM that I can hook up to for this, but that only gives you around 1000RPMs. Something like 1200-1500 would be much better. Might it be possible to use a power lock actuator for this, to move the throttle for you?

Can somebody explain to me exactly how they work? How long of a stroke do they have? When you give it power, does it move up, or down, and then stay that way when you remove power?

My aftermarket actuators have about a 2" stroke. They're fairly powerful when actuating, but after they're in position, you can move them back easily. These are the ones I'm using (on my doors :) )
330-010m.jpg

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=330-010
Billy

I think most actuators have a 3/4" stroke. In any case, I don't think that this is the way to approach it.

One possibility might be to put a variable resistor in series with the TPS(on the ground side??). You could also install a switch to bypass it(hi idle).

Measure the resistance of the TPS(at power and ground contacts) disconnected. Then buy a potentiometer(variable resistor) of a equal(approx) value. You should then be able to adjust your idle.

I think you will find that the lock actuators only pull when they have power and if you leave the power on to keep them pulling they will burn them self’s up.

Just out of curiosity what do you need the high idle for.

Back