• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Team NAXJA/Petty Cash Racing stock class KOH XJ build

Oh, don't think I didn't get that lecture before KOH 2 or 3 times, and then to really drive it home, got the call again during his drive home from KOH.

I don't always follow Blaines advice the first time. One of the many things I respect about him is that after you discard his advice and really screw up, he's still there to help you fix it for the cost of a verbal whipping. ;)

That said, the hubs did not break. I *CLEARLY* assembled something wrong when I was installing them, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what the hell went awry. They came out unbroken, and the replacements went in exactly the same way - and held up fine.

We had 4 wheel drive, and then didn't, and then had it again, and then lost it again .. all with the hubs locked. Maybe I put the shift collars in 180 or had a spring in the wrong place? Who knows. I didn't sleep much the last few weeks before the race.

if you're brave, pull one of the non-working ones apart and a working one at the same time, you will probably figure out real quick what went wrong.

I got the talkin too about the hubs, but I have the 5 on 4.5 kit, so it was worse:laugh:

or just get the drive slugs, and forget about the hubs.

How thin can the metal used to tie the body to the cage get and still be effective for wheelin (not racing)? Are the dimples for weight reduction, rigidity or bling?

How thin can the metal used to tie the body to the cage get and still be effective for wheelin (not racing)?
depends on the tie-in and how it is built, but I would be that 1/8" would be OK, 3/16" would be better though.

Are the dimples for weight reduction, rigidity or bling?

D. All of the above. :laugh:

I'll take some pictures when I get some free time, but as stated, the body is cut close to the tube, and then its welded where the tube passes through. In theory, it would be water tight if we had windows..

I never could have pulled it off myself, got Goatman does really tight work.

The cage/body tie in plates are 1/8" on the A and D pillars and 16 gauge on the B pillar. I started with the 1/8 until I got a sheet of 16 gauge. The 1/8 could be a little thick for what it's doing. You're tying 1/8" tube to thin sheetmetal, 16 gauge probably splits the difference and is thick enough.

Unfortunately, we didn't have a dimple die set, so we only have holes. No strength benefit, just to save weight and look better.

The cage is welded to the roof, mostly to comply with the rules, which state how big a gap we can have in any cut sheetmetal. It also adds a slight amount of rigidity.

hmm. we're now the third most posted thread in mod tech, and will be taking second place pretty soon.

i never thought this would be that interesting to people.

Yeah, I mean, who'd want to read about the official Team NAXJA KOH/Ultra4 race rig? Boring! ;)

I'll take some pictures when I get some free time, but as stated, the body is cut close to the tube, and then its welded where the tube passes through. In theory, it would be water tight if we had windows..

I never could have pulled it off myself, got Goatman does really tight work.

2012-03-22_20-05-53_285.jpg

2012-03-22_20-05-58_388.jpg

2012-03-22_20-06-04_93.jpg

2012-03-22_20-06-11_195.jpg

2012-03-22_20-06-25_994.jpg

2012-03-22_20-06-33_18.jpg

2012-03-22_20-06-41_837.jpg

2012-03-22_20-06-46_276.jpg

Yes, one one side we welded up the gaps, on the other side we made plates. Oh well.
goatwack.gif

This was a team effort, one person did one side and a month later another person did the other side. We're always looking for improvements. :D

Yes, one one side we welded up the gaps, on the other side we made plates. Oh well.

... I was just going to kinda gloss over that fact, and ignore anyone who asked about it.

there goes that plan.. :)

... I was just going to kinda gloss over that fact, and ignore anyone who asked about it.

there goes that plan.. :)

I was never going to post pics of that. :D

If we're trying to be the cool guys, we post one pic of the best looking joint, and leave it at that. But, we're just a bunch of sorry assed died in the wool XJ guys, so cool has nothing to do with it. :laugh:

Back