• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Team NAXJA King of the Hammers preperations

Here is a picture of the new shocks we are going to run on my car for the race.
406949674_EBNhK-M.jpg

Yeah, Dave's going to be super blingin'. :D

There's going to be some bad ass equipment coming to this next race. Lot's of cars getting reworked and many brand new cars. We'll have our work cut out for us to have a top finish again, but we're going for it.

Got the rear gears installed, so 5.13's now instead of the 4.56's. Lost some low range speed, which I really liked, but we need the power for the fast sections. We're going out this Sat, so we'll see how much nicer it is at speed with the lower gears and I'll do some more tuning on the rear ORI Struts. I'm waiting to hear when the front ORI's are coming, hopefully in the next week or so.

Sweet! Man if I could donate anything for a stroker I totally would...I just have a spare '91 4.0 sitting around though that's about it.

Good luck man!

Sweet! Man if I could donate anything for a stroker I totally would...I just have a spare '91 4.0 sitting around though that's about it.

Good luck man!

You're not far off. I have most of a stroker sitting around already, if I could come up with a low miles 4.0 (something I could re-use the pistons/block on without issues) I could probably throw together a 4.5l stroker out of my beer fund, with a few donations from people who have already offered them.

Low miles 4.0's keep falling through at the last minute though.

You're not far off. I have most of a stroker sitting around already, if I could come up with a low miles 4.0 (something I could re-use the pistons/block on without issues) I could probably throw together a 4.5l stroker out of my beer fund, with a few donations from people who have already offered them.

Low miles 4.0's keep falling through at the last minute though.

230k miles is low right? :D

I dunno how useful it is, it had some blowby when I pulled it so I'm sure it's wornout. Also had water in the oil at one point (driven for an hour or so after). I doubt you'll want to deal with this mess.

I'm also on the other side of the country :(. I wonder how expensive it would be to ship this thing lol.

230k miles is low right? :D

I dunno how useful it is, it had some blowby when I pulled it so I'm sure it's wornout. Also had water in the oil at one point (driven for an hour or so after). I doubt you'll want to deal with this mess.

I'm also on the other side of the country :(. I wonder how expensive it would be to ship this thing lol.

Not worth the trouble. :)

What sucks, is I have a 4.0 with 81,000 miles on it sitting in my XJ, and a stroker in the garage to swap it out with - but no time to make it all happen before KOH.

Not worth the trouble. :)

What sucks, is I have a 4.0 with 81,000 miles on it sitting in my XJ, and a stroker in the garage to swap it out with - but no time to make it all happen before KOH.

That's always the case...too many projects and not enough time lol. If I were about 3000 miles closer I'd be glad to give a hand :D.

Welp, looks like I came up a low miles core.

Someones donating a cam/springs.

I've got a 4.2 crank/rods I'll throw in, along with a timing set, high volume oil pump and clifford water pump. I've got a spare ported and polished head on the bench too.

I need to come up with a bunch of wear parts, but I think we may be able to throw something together in time after all.

Welp, looks like I came up a low miles core.

Someones donating a cam/springs.

I've got a 4.2 crank/rods I'll throw in, along with a timing set, high volume oil pump and clifford water pump. I've got a spare ported and polished head on the bench too.

I need to come up with a bunch of wear parts, but I think we may be able to throw something together in time after all.

Cal - shoot me a PM with the list of stuff you need...

this is for Richard's jeep - right? :wierd:

Cal - shoot me a PM with the list of stuff you need...

this is for Richard's jeep - right? :wierd:

Yeah. The one for my jeep is nearly done.

I'm going to need a full gasket set, a full set of bearings of some quality (size yet unknown), a set of rings (size unknown), a full set of lifters, a harmonic balancer, and I'd like to find a 99+ intake manifold.

If someone had a good set of aftermarket valve springs, they wouldnt hurt. The guy donating the came is intending to buy those himself as part of his contribution, but he's already donating a costly cam, if I can save him some cash.. ;)

What about a set of bearings of some size and quality unknown?

While those might work better than wraping the crank in slices of leather, I think given Richards habit of running at 4,000 rpm's for extended periods I should slide some quality parts in here and there. =)

I guess we never came back to this.

Finished the stroker, it turned out way insane. In high range, richard shifts from 1 to 2 on climbs that I won't try unless I'm in low range - and it pulls solid from a somewhat lopey idle until you're moving so fast you can't keep your foot on the gas.

Cost came in a little higher than forcasted and I mostly depleted my 'good parts' stash, but we ended up with -way- more engine than we were anticipating.

Now I'm worried about twisting off rear axle shafts. :(

Good gawd, it sounds like a monster. And doesn't darned near everything come in over budget?

Is there any chance of the rig getting dyno'ed?

Good gawd, it sounds like a monster. And doesn't darned near everything come in over budget?

Is there any chance of the rig getting dyno'ed?

If we were to do that, we'd probably want to do an engine dyno and not ground dyno .. and no, no chance of that. Its installed and running, it was FAR more difficult than it should have been to get it all done and its not coming back out. :)

I suppose if someone had a rear wheel dyno in bako that would take 40's, Richard might be willing to give it a try - but I don't know that its necessary.

I'm going to guess, looking at the various formulas around and peoples posted results, that we're somewhere in the 275 horsepower range. The cam we used (mopar 30ab) puts our peak torque and horsepower in the 3000-4000 rpm range where its really useful, instead of having to sit at redline to get the job done.

And let me tell you, it drinks the gas. I've arranged a 55 gallon drum of fuel for KOH week, and as I'm looking at fuel consumption, race day and practice plans, I'm starting to question if thats enough (we do have to feed 2 rigs..).

I guess we never came back to this.

Finished the stroker, it turned out way insane. In high range, richard shifts from 1 to 2 on climbs that I won't try unless I'm in low range - and it pulls solid from a somewhat lopey idle until you're moving so fast you can't keep your foot on the gas.

Cost came in a little higher than forcasted and I mostly depleted my 'good parts' stash, but we ended up with -way- more engine than we were anticipating.

Now I'm worried about twisting off rear axle shafts. :(

Can you do a parts list of all the stuff you guys used???
Maybe a thread??
Sounds like what i want in my Jeep.

P.S. I sometimes wear my Team NAXJA KOH shirt @ work (Smalltown NAPA) and everbody says that the shirt is bad Arse... it is one of my favorite shirts

Last edited:
Back