• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Team NAXJA and King of the Hammers '09

Starboard M said:
Richard, you need a trail bitch? :crossesfingers:

Richard is lucky to have (one of) the best copilot(s) in JV. Between Richard and Paul, they know every rock in the hammers by first name, and what boulder it broke off of. If you've ever seen those two on the trail together, its like a work of art.

Paul can say "turn your wheels a hair to the right and PUNCH IT!" .. Richard doesn't even have to look, he just goes with full faith that its the right thing to do.

Dave and Gary are likely to be just as good once they get out on the trail, both EXCELLENT drivers.

cal said:
Richard is lucky to have (one of) the best copilot(s) in JV. Between Richard and Paul, they know every rock in the hammers by first name, and what boulder it broke off of. If you've ever seen those two on the trail together, its like a work of art.

Paul can say "turn your wheels a hair to the right and PUNCH IT!" .. Richard doesn't even have to look, he just goes with full faith that its the right thing to do.

Dave and Gary are likely to be just as good once they get out on the trail, both EXCELLENT drivers.

And you forgot to add that Richard won't let Avery withen 100 miles of the event weekend.

GSequoia said:
And you forgot to add that Richard won't let Avery withen 100 miles of the event weekend.

On the contrary. Who do you think will be driving the full body yello rig :D

Goatman said:
Here's the segment that showed on Spike TV, minus the commercials. This was about half of a 1/2 hour show. Paul and I both got interviews.

http://phillipscreative.us/movies/KOH/

The DVD is supposed to be released the first of Oct at the Offroad Expo in Pomona.

I saw that this weekend and thought it was you...

Nice work representing...

Ken

Here's a little more info about how we did in the last race. In the prep work that we did, we missed protecting the air locker lines from potential heat problems. It hasn't been a problem on trail runs, but running for so long at a much faster pace produced heat we didn't anticipate, and we blow out the rear air line before we got to the first trail. We spent about 6-8 minutes in a pit stop getting that line fixed and got passed by a bunch of rigs. Then we lost both air locker lines by the time we got part way through Sledgehammer, and broke the rear driveline on Jackhammer.

Still, by studying all the split times, we were in 9th place when we broke the driveshaft, which was about halfway through the race, just past check point 7 (out of 14). By the time we got the new driveline to us and installed, and fixed both air lines, and got to the next check point, we were in 15th place. We actually passed 4 rigs that had passed us when we were broke by the time we got to the next check point. From the time we broke to the end of the race, from check point 8 to the finish, we had the 4th fastest time. The 3 faster times were the guys who ended up placing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. On one section, from ck 8 to ck 9, we had the fastest split time of the field, which we are pretty proud of.

The race will be longer, and there will be almost twice as many entries, 75 this time and 43 last time, and plenty of trick new rigs are being built. But, we're also making improvemnts to our rig and we know that we can be faster. If we can do a great job of prepping the rig, and are fortunate enough to not have any major mechanical problems, we think we can do well again. We'll see next Feb.

Here's a couple of pics from the last race.

258311447_KNfi8-L.jpg

258311525_fJQpS-L.jpg

As you can see from this shot my roof is a little low. You need to have 3" over your head with a helmit on.
363805963_Bo6SZ-M.jpg

Looks like Rigworks is going to help us out with some new quality cage work.

Richards buggy got the first major rounds of mods done this last week. Left my shop late last night. Maybe he can toss a few completed pictures up for us!

Matt and Ron, you guys at Rigwerks need to market that crossmember/belly pan skid, that thing is bad ass! Unquestionably the stoutest and best designed crossmember for an XJ/MJ that you can get.

I'll try to remember to get some shots of it installed this weekend. These pics don't show the rear attachment points, which really make it mega stout.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

And yes, I'm pimpin' for my sponsors. :D

Scrappy and Capt Ron had the buggy at Rigwerks for a few days. They made new LCA frame mounts that relocated the mounts inside the frame for tire clearance, finished a complete installation of their belly pan, finished off the rear of my storage area under the seats, re-did my rear track bar mount on the axle, mounted up my front coilovers after Paul took them over to Sway-A-Way for some revalving, and helped me mount up my new ORI air struts in the back with some brand new mounts.

Thanks again, guys. :cheers:

Goatman said:
Matt and Ron, you guys at Rigwerks need to market that crossmember/belly pan skid, that thing is bad ass! Unquestionably the stoutest and best designed crossmember for an XJ/MJ that you can get.

I'll try to remember to get some shots of it installed this weekend. These pics don't show the rear attachment points, which really make it mega stout.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

And yes, I'm pimpin' for my sponsors. :D

Scrappy and Capt Ron had the buggy at Rigwerks for a few days. They made new LCA frame mounts that relocated the mounts inside the frame for tire clearance, finished a complete installation of their belly pan, finished off the rear of my storage area under the seats, re-did my rear track bar mount on the axle, mounted up my front coilovers after Paul took them over to Sway-A-Way for some revalving, and helped me mount up my new ORI air struts in the back with some brand new mounts.

Thanks again, guys. :cheers:
God I want one of those soooo badly.:worship:
Just can't afford it now.

More info about the race is now available. There will be 92 total entries. 10 or more entries will be coming from the qualifier race which will be on Thurs, Feb 26. The start of the race on Friday will be staggard, with two cars leaving side by side every 30 seconds. We drew 27th starting position, so we're in the 14th row.

The course is supposed to be much longer, and harder, than last years course. I anticipate there will be 12-15 miles of trails and 70-80 miles of desert. Dave and Garry will run in the qualifier race on Thurs, which could be really crazy as 30+ rigs battle on a short couple mile course for 10 spots in the main race.

Both Dave and I are getting brand new shocks, among other things. I'm getting new ORI Struts for all four corners, which are a relatively new design of high tech air shocks. Dave landed a King sponsorship (discounted, but not free) and will be running and testing brand new King triple bypass piggyback air shocks.

We sure appreciate all of you who are ordering T-shirts to help us make this effort possible. We have plenty of things to get yet, more tires, safety equipment, etc, so any help is greatly appreciated. We have "Proud Supporter of Team NAXJA" T-shirts avalable, both long and short sleeve, for a $40 dollar donation, which includes shipping. If you'd like a shirt or two, please go to the Team NAXJA website www.teamnaxja.com and click on the link to place an order. We're trying to print another order of shirts on Nov 10th, so we'd appreciate getting orders by Nov 9th.

Thanks again for being able to be Team NAXJA.

Back