• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

taurus fan mod needed, GO-JEEP? help...

tkjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I've done the go-jeep taurus fan swap, love it, never overheat. Problem is I'm thinking now after the fact that I need to reconnect the auto feature like stock. I thought Marcus had this in his write up but can't find it now. I have a 2 position switch for low and hi. I would like to reconnect the stock switch so that the fan will come on low when the temp hits a certain number. It's no problem for me, I keep a close eye on the temp gauge, but I'm afraid that I can't be comfortable with someone else driving my heep without the fear of overheating to disastrous consequences. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Couldn't you run the original fan wiring to a DPDT relay.
When that relay turns on it would power the Taurus fan, but cut power to the switched relay, so you can't run both hi/low speed at the same time.

Just a thought, its late, heading to bed now, this may seem silly in the morning.

It is mentioned on page three of the install.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTaurusFanInstall3.htm
I used a three position switch with high, off and low speed. The trigger wires to pin 86 on the relays are at each end and the positive wire from the A/C fan goes to the middle pin on the switch.
This photo shows the setup.

TaurusFan66.jpg

Black rear wire goes to pin 86 on the low speed relay. Middle purple wire comes from the ECU controlled A/C fan. Red wire goes to pin 86 on the high speed relay.
This will mean if the switch is forward, the black wire or low speed relay gets power from the ECU controlled wire. When switch is back, high speed will turn off and on with the ECU. In the middle, will switch the fan off no matter what the ECU tells it to do. Good for river crossings.

arg, that's what I couldn't find! thanks Marcus, thanks Beakie, cya on JeepKings! I'll look into it Marcus, I remember reading that write up when I did the fan originally.

Trying to brush up my memory, the wire I need to tap into was the coolant temp unit in the front of the rad was it not? Got my wiring diagram in pdf and yes Marcus it appears to be a dark blue/pink wire that goes to the pin # 31 in the pcm for the fan relay. To rainy here to check, I'll look into it soon. Thanks for the help all.

Trying to brush up my memory, the wire I need to tap into was the coolant temp unit in the front of the rad was it not? Got my wiring diagram in pdf and yes Marcus it appears to be a dark blue/pink wire that goes to the pin # 31 in the pcm for the fan relay. To rainy here to check, I'll look into it soon. Thanks for the help all.

sry to bring back a old thread but im trying to figure this out aswell.. what wire needs to be tapped into?

Do you have a schematic for the Jeep?

You will need an additional relay.

Look at the wiring for the factory fan. The power from the "run" position of the ignition switch is supplied to the relay and the PCM supplies the ground with an addition ground supply from the AC compressor relay. To operate your fan, add a relay wired such that the power to the factory fan connects to the coil of your relay. The power to the relay is parallel with your existing switch input and the output of the relay is parallel to the output of you existing switch. This provides two methods of turning the fan on, either manually or under computer control. Find a FSM as I ahve found errors in aftermarket manuals...

So what I am trying to say is when the computer turns on the factory fan, your relay closes and the Ford fan engages. Or, if you throw the switch, the fan will come on. Under computer control, the fan switch can be in the off position.

Doe this sound right to everyone?

Back