• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tasteful 97+ Fender Trimming and DW Questions

88JeepXJ

NAXJA Forum User

Currently have a 4.5" lift on 31s. I'd really like to go to 33s but I'm already getting some front rubbing at full lock off-road. I've always wanted to keep my fenders intact but after walking around Topless Jeep Day in Monson (about 1,000 Jeeps and at least 200-300 XJs!) I've come to realize that's very rare. 90% of the lifted XJs I saw were running modified fenders or no fender flares at all. So any stock looking XJs out there with tasteful fender modifications? If I go to 33x10.5 (on TJ 15x8 wheels) how much worse will the rubbing get?

OT: I've been dealing with DW for years. I have a new front end (ball joints, tie rods, track bar, wheel bearings, etc) and finally I pushed my fixed lower control arms (16.5") as far forward as I could on the stock adjustment. I got DW mostly under control, but then I was getting horrible front ds vibes. I installed adjustable upper CAs to go with my fixed lower control arms. With the front DS out it felt pretty good, but I was getting DS vibes still until I pushed the uppers to about 15.25"...then the DW came back above 59mph! It was a long drive to TJD lol.

So obviously I could keep throwing money into new parts but I'd like your feedback. Should I just get adjustable lowers and try to push the axle as far forward as possible to regain some caster, or get control arm drop brackets?

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/trim.html

This is what I did to my front fenders. I have 3.5" of lift and changed from 31s to 33 12.50s and there was a ton of rubbing. I couldn't even turn my wheel 1/3rd of the way around before the back of the tire hit the metal part of the fender. Trimming is a must IMO with 33s and that little of a lift.

My experience with DW, changed everything I could think of and still had it pretty bad. It turned out to be an older set of BFG ATs that had a ton of tread on them but had separated on the inside. New tires fixed my DW.

Lol wow okay good suggestion. Guess what I'm running? An 8 year old set of BFG ATs. Tons of tread left though!

might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it's easy

So I guess it's called trim? DPG or someone else sells a roll of it that's enough for maybe 6 wheel wells. 2 years later and it's still held up through everything, including carwashes. It's kind of tough to see in this pic, but gives you an idea, it's super clean looking:

mRXd2Kj.jpg

might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it's easy

So I guess it's called trim? DPG or someone else sells a roll of it that's enough for maybe 6 wheel wells. 2 years later and it's still held up through everything, including carwashes. It's kind of tough to see in this pic, but gives you an idea, it's super clean looking:

mRXd2Kj.jpg
Looks like you are wheeling in Utah without flares. Did any of the law enforcement agencies take exception to your setup?

Looks like you are wheeling in Utah without flares. Did any of the law enforcement agencies take exception to your setup?

Hah.. funny you ask. Yeah this was taken on Elephant Hill. My rear leaf springs haven't been the same since..

Got pulled over last year by state police around Natural Bridges. Having CO plates doesn't help if you get my drift. I was also going 6 over the speed limit, which I think to most of us is reasonable until we forget we're in Utah.

He wrote me a warning for both. I was kind of under the impression that since the vehicle is registered in another state, he can't pull me over for that kind of stuff. Similar to tint laws, or a license plate on the front of the vehicle or not, depending on state.

Protekto trim is the name, and the stuff is great. Doesn't help in UT though.

I will eventually be running flexy flares when I go to larger tires that stick out more. On my XJ I have the angled lip trimmed off.

Back