• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taking a poll on longarms vs. short...

Rock2pus

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm at the point on my 2001 that I have to poop or get off the pot replacing the control arms to get the lift sitting proper...I'm down to two options : (1) Use a Clayton longarm, or, (2) Use Drop Brackets with a set of JKS replacement shortarms...I'm dead set on the choices, and adding it up it appears to be about a dead heat when it comes to price..The lift sets at 3.5"-4" (yes, longarms will clear), and I'm running bumpstop extensions and very long shocks to allow 2-1/2 inches bumptravel, and a LOT of droop. I've done some major trimming/bodywork to allow for 33's with a minimum lift, and I'm running ACOS and adjustable shackles so I can even lower more if clearance allows...so what do you guys think about the arm choices? I will be running this one next year on the trails, locked/locked, and also quite a bit on the street.
Rich

I say if you can use the long arms, then do it. Remember if you do it right the first time, then you will not have to do it again. But then again it is a Jeep.

LONGARM

No love for mid arms? :(

Which brand drop brackets are you looking at Rich? Are you included DB braces too? I wouldnt wanna wheel DB's without them.

No love for mid arms? :(

Which brand drop brackets are you looking at Rich? Are you included DB braces too? I wouldnt wanna wheel DB's without them.

Only ones I'm familiar with are the Rubicon Express brackets, and they have an optional brace, which I would most surely use. I'm leaning toward the longarms, but I just figured I'd throw the idea out there. I've seen some great flex from a drop bracket setup too, and I'm pretty sure that setup would put a bit less stress on the trackbar, which, on my 98, is a source of constant grief...steering input is more like a suggestion...It just feels sloppy compared to a shortarm'd rig.
Rich

I say if you can use the long arms, then do it. Remember if you do it right the first time, then you will not have to do it again. But then again it is a Jeep.

LONGARM

Thanks for the input, John. I'm leaning in that direction...BTW, looking at doing a little fishing this weekend locally...hit me up if you're going to be around.
Rich

if you need to replace all the arms anyway go longarm.

why just clayton though?

IMO there are more superior setups out there

Clayton is a sweet/beefy set up but there are def a lot of other options out there. If they all need to be replaced, go long arms and dont look back.

rich I think either way is good. I have no trouble with my RC drop brackets and if you do decide to go with shorts get Rokmen with the dual currie johnie joints. I just picked up a set and they are BEEF! 3/8" wall tubing for 300 bucks

Thanks for the input, John. I'm leaning in that direction...BTW, looking at doing a little fishing this weekend locally...hit me up if you're going to be around.
Rich

Hey Rich. Thanks for the offer but if my wife does not have the baby this week she will be induced Friday and you know were I will be. I will be getting ahold of you soon for a small meet.
Good luck on what ever set up you go with. Clayton lol

Hey Rich. Thanks for the offer but if my wife does not have the baby this week she will be induced Friday and you know were I will be. I will be getting ahold of you soon for a small meet.

LOL... I was thinking you ought to be a dad by now!

I think that if you don't go long arms now, you'll wish you did eventually. I run short arms/DB's on the MJ (MJ was built with old parts from the XJ, the parts were in my shed). It flexes/wheels great, and at times feels more stable than the XJ, but I think that is because of the difference between an MJ and an XJ more than a difference between long arms vs. short arms.

A.

Yep, I'm definitely leaning toward the longarms..As to manufacturer choice, well, I run all Clayton on my 98 including the rear coil conversion, and it has never disappointed, trail or street...I know some folks like the "bent" lower arrangement some others use, but for my 2 cents, the straigt ones act a lot like a skid and I know for a fact they took the hit that my front driveshaft and oil pan would have otherwise. Since this one is destined for "only" 33's and "only" 3 inches of suspension lift, I'll need all the protection I can get. Given my history, I better start fabbing up some rocker protection too.
Rich

Whoa! Let me one of the first to offer congrats and best wishes, my man!
Rich

I don't know all the fancy tech stuff, but I've run both setups with a small to moderate lift like you are talking about ..... and the longarms ride and perform noticeably better! Sure, the drop brackets and short arms flex almost as well, but flex is only one part of what control arms do.

my drop brackets act as great skids! i pound them on everything.:spin1:

Update: Its gonna be Clayton longarms....with the sheetmetal clipping I can stuff 35's under this thing with the 3 inch lift.....going for big droop and a nice low stance...a "sleeper"?

rich you are nuts.... I thought this was going to stay mild??? :) BTW i have started working on the buggy...

rich you are nuts.... I thought this was going to stay mild??? :) BTW i have started working on the buggy...

With fresh 33's, big droop travel,a lot of armor, and two lockers under it, you know damn well I wont be able to keep it out of at least black trails! It might look mild, but I dont think it will be...I have to get my fix until the other one's back on her 37's (d'oh!!!).
Rich

Back